Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2015 WY Pronghorn

BuzzH

I once again proved that I cant judge antelope that well.

I first saw the particular buck I was after in early September. I only saw him one time, but did get some video footage. I told a friend from Casper about the buck and that I thought it would "maybe go 80". I looked at the video a few times and each time I did, I just liked the buck more and more.

So, with my moose hunt conflicting with the pronghorn tag, there was very little I could do but hope that someone else was equally as poor at judging pronghorns and that I would find him.

My first available time to hunt was yesterday on my way home from an 8 day hitch at work. I knew I would only have a couple hours, but figured I would gamble and see if that buck I saw earlier was still around. On my way to the area, I saw a couple hunters from Nebraska leaving the area. It wasn't looking good.

I went to the spot where I had seen the buck over 20 days ago and started glassing. Within about 20 minutes I spotted him running around chasing other bucks and trying to keep 4 does rounded up. When he wasn't doing that, he was just constantly on the move.

I needed to get a better look, so gathered up my rifle and spotting scope and walked out to a higher ridge that he disappeared behind. I found him again, but he was moving away from me and was over a half mile away. Pretty soon, he starts moving back toward the ridge I was on. I got to watch him for a long time and the more I looked the more I liked what I was seeing.

He eventually sort of calmed down with only about 30 minutes of shooting light left. He started to feed a bit, and then bedded down! Facing away!

I really contemplated just leaving him as he was 703 yards away. But, I remembered many past experiences with pronghorn in lower light conditions toward evening. I don't know what it is, if their eyes deceive them at dusk or what, but I've essentially walked up pretty close to them in similar conditions.

I was torn, should I try and chance it or wait until the next morning? I figured with the amount of running around he did the hour before, I would take a chance and if the stalk went south, I'd just relocate him in the morning.

He was bedded facing away, so I just essentially walked right at him, in the wide open. At about 400 yards I finally dropped enough to get out of his sight. I covered the next section pretty fast and when I crawled up out of the draw I was in, he was still bedded and 259 yards away.

I looked a bit longer through the spotting scope and he still looked good. For some reason, he stood and then bedded again broadside to me. I looked again through the spotter at the mass of his horns as he was facing me.

Enough looking, time to get this antelope shot. I chambered a round in my 7-08 and used some tall sagebrush for a rest. I was shooting prone and again, for some unknown reason, he stood back up and started walking. I just placed the leupold dot behind his shoulder and pressed the trigger. I heard the bullet smack him and he went about 10 steps and fell behind some sagebrush.

I quickly went over and was a bit shocked by his size...for once shocked that I had almost for sure under-estimated the score.

Had to wait until this morning to take decent pictures:

DSC00915.JPG

Another look:

DSC00901.JPG

Frontal look:

DSC00908.JPG

Different look:

09291508461.jpg

Water bottle for scale:

0929150846a1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice antelope! I am pretty sure you can judge them better than me. I wish I had a job I could scout and hunt them after work.

Wow, the mass on that frontal view is impressive. That is maximizing a 2 hr season, congrats.

Dang that's a great looking buck! I really need to get back to Wyoming and chase them again

I'm going to wait on the score until I have some time to sit down and do it right, but I'm confident he's over 82 net.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back