2015 cow elk

Congrats to you and your buddy. What a wonderful way to start off the new year. I always look forward to your posts as you are an elk hunting/killing machine.

Awesome Buzz, fantastic way to start the new year.

You shooting the 1/2 min dot reticle like this?

reticle-40-large.png

Nicely done. So do you eat a pound of elk meat everyday all year?

Congrats Buzz! I continue to be amazed at what the 7-08 can do too. 629 is a long poke. Nice work.

Awesome job Buzz, brings back memories. That is a hell of a shot! We skipped this year but I think we will definitely be back in early 2016. That is some tremendous meat in the freezer and great memories to boot. Doing the math on 50 elk, that is about 7,500 lbs of some of the best meat our publics lands can offer.

Nice work. The weather and the roads look much better. I hope the weather holds out for a few more day.

Very well done! Looks like that country got a bit of snow since I saw it last.

629 is one heck of a poke! I'm thinking the 7-08 and/or 260 will be my next purchase and see the lion's share of hunting time.

Got to love those late cow elk hunts in Wyoming. Great rifle and great shot. Congratulations, again on a very productive family hunt.

Congrats Buzz, you the Man! always a good read.... love that 7mm-08 I wanna build one for my wife.... I would have one if I ever did any rifle hunting.... congrats again on the great times had with your Dad and Friend,
Matt

When its windy, I limit my shots to closer range. There are many days in Wyoming that I would simply not shoot over 250-300 yards, wont do it. With no wind, or light winds, I can make the small corrections pretty easily without dialing.

I do have wind charts and try to get to the range on windy days. What that has shown me, is that even dialing wind corrections, shooting LR with gusty, strong, or changing winds is a real challenge (for me). I just flat don't feel comfortable, or confident, shooting at animals in strong winds at extended ranges.

Bullet drop is physics, wind is voodoo. Maybe with more range time I will gain more confidence, but for now, I'm just not prepared or willing to take a shot with any significant amount of wind.

Because of my decision to not shoot long range in the wind, I found it unnecessary to have a windage turret installed on most of my scopes. I have one scope that has both W and E turrets, and I found that in a hunting situation, with my current lack of skill on wind, that it was really unnecessary to have the windage turret.

Theres a correct time and place to use your stalking skills and a correct time to use shooting skills...and I know when its appropriate (for me) to use each.

When its windy, I limit my shots to closer range. There are many days in Wyoming that I would simply not shoot over 250-300 yards, wont do it. With no wind, or light winds, I can make the small corrections pretty easily without dialing.

I do have wind charts and try to get to the range on windy days. What that has shown me, is that even dialing wind corrections, shooting LR with gusty, strong, or changing winds is a real challenge (for me). I just flat don't feel comfortable, or confident, shooting at animals in strong winds at extended ranges.

Bullet drop is physics, wind is voodoo. Maybe with more range time I will gain more confidence, but for now, I'm just not prepared or willing to take a shot with any significant amount of wind.

Because of my decision to not shoot long range in the wind, I found it unnecessary to have a windage turret installed on most of my scopes. I have one scope that has both W and E turrets, and I found that in a hunting situation, with my current lack of skill on wind, that it was really unnecessary to have the windage turret.

Theres a correct time and place to use your stalking skills and a correct time to use shooting skills...and I know when its appropriate (for me) to use each.

Well, that makes sense.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back