Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2014 Utah General Muley

BiggWimm

Well, my mule deer season didn't go as well as hoped. Myself and two buddies hiked about 6 miles in and 3500' up to a spot that my hunting partner had been into many years before. We had done some scouting in the area and found some great bucks. On our way up we met 3 other hunters in one group that were going to be in the same area. This was the day before season opened so it was obvious they were also committed. As it turns out, they were some great guys and we were able to devise a plan amongst ourselves so we weren't fighting one another in the morning. Once we reached our destination, we immediately found bucks. The next morning, we quickly got on deer. As rifle hunting in Utah goes, we had additional company in the morning and they weren't hesitating. As the shots began to ring out, the big bucks quickly vacated the area. I ended up shooting a decent buck because he got too close for his own good. Not a monster, but he tastes great. I watched our new morning friends taking 1000 yard freehand shots at deer. At one point they had to run back to their packs for more bullets. I am not exaggerating when I say they shot at least a box and a half of bullets. My hunting partner also ended up with a nice buck after dropping over a mile down the mountain. On our way out, we ran into our three friends from the hike. They had harvested a nice 4 point that ended up breaking a side off as it rolled. They said from their vantage point, they watched 8 - 4 points go down. At least that many 3 points, and a number of two points. Ugh, time to find a new spot.

I already told my hunting partner that this was my last rifle season, it has left me with too foul a taste in my mouth. Watching the ridiculous shots, having people shoot over the top of us, and watching wounded deer hobble across the mountain was just too much.

As a note, most of the bucks were harvested well below us. I had harvested the highest deer on the mountain that morning and it still was far enough to get away from the chaos.

Anyway, enough of my negativity. Here is my buck, which I am thrilled with:

Buddy's buck, he is shy:

Both bucks back at the jeep:

Hell yeah very nice bucks!

Unit 39 near Boise is downright ridiculous as far as hunter numbers, I can't imagine the crowds that some of those otc units near SLC, Logan or Provo/Orem have. Especially in a state with a point system like Utah's. With that kind of a warzone going on I'm surprised you guys don't hunt CO, WY or ID.

Well, I guess if your shooting bucks like that OTC you've got something figured out! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a high school kid here in Boise and my friend got a forked horn on the 31st we must of seen 70-80 hunters and one deer up in 39 its an absolute joke!

Great effort guys...country looks good for mule deer bucks, but also the hunters seem to like it as well. I just couldn't enjoy that experience nowadays, give me solitude and less deer every time, but i certainly appreciate how some are forced to put up with these conditions and go hunt to try to outthink others as well as the deer. I wonder how mid week goes up there, guess a fair few of the bucks are either dead or a lot more switched on.

For bucks like that, I think I'd put the bullet proof vest on and keep going.Sounds like a normal Pa hunt to me.How far were you in?

Congrats on some good bucks! That first picture is a great pic! Well done.

General season in UT is a zoo that's fo' sho'.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back