2014 elk hunt date problems

huntaddict

Hey guys, I have a problem. Work requirements force us to work from the beginning of September to the middle of November. That time period iswhat is called a black out. NO vacation or time of is allowed. How can I get in my elk fix? Is there any hunts that start in mid-August? I could do a November rifle hunt but I would rather archery hunt.

I would consider a career change but it would be tied to the change of marital status also. The nuclear field pays way too good to walk away from. Plus living in Michigan adds to the problem.

Sounds like you might need to change species un less you can draw a really limited CA tag.

in August, CA Blacktails, Wild Hogs, Nearly all the Western State Archery Antelope, and some mule deer seasons are open.

Oregon Archery elk opens the 24th of Aug.

NV has antlerless hunts starting aug 1, Antlered hunts start Aug 25th

Last edited:
Montana season runs through Thanksgiving weekend. Not sure on August archery hunts. I think there may be one in AZ? You can always hunt with your bow in rifle season, can't imagine it would be much harder than a hunt in August.

Sucks about the job... I know what I would do. ;)

You could do a late season archery hunt here in western Washington. The season opens the day before Thanksgiving and goes to December 15th. Some units are antlerless only, some are bull only (3 point min.), and others are either sex. It's an over the counter tag. Tough hunting though, and I really wouldn't recommend it for a non resident.

The better option, which was already mentioned, might be the last week of August in Oregon. Plenty of public land to hunt in eastern Oregon, and it's also an OTC tag.

The Norhtern Idaho units have some late season OTC tags as well. Check it out.

Late archery elk hunt in AZ is the two weeks prior to Thanksgiving. Most units are pretty easy to draw.

Lots of cow elk hunts go until after the first of the year. Some states you can apply for tags on public land and in nearly all states they can be purchased for hunts on private land. Quite a few of the private land cow elk hunts I've looked into are DIY. You pay for the tag/access and given a map. The rest is up to you.

change jobs like I did. work 8 months layoff for 2months and 9 weeks vacation. but I take off more time for hunting. work out good for my hunting trips

Rifle elk in MT can be really fun around Thanksgiving, especially if the weather cooperates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back