Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2012 Sheep/Griz Success

thecrittergitter

Well, my 2012 Sheep hunt was quite a success to say the least. Figured I would post the story and pics.

Main mode of transportation was the good ol boots but our secondary method was sure helpful:D

picture.php

Once we were into our "lower" camp, we fixed up some mountain houses and tried to get some rest for our hike up to "upper" camp the next morning. We hiked to upper camp and pretty much spent the next day stuck to the tent with socked in fog and non stop rain. A guy can still hunt in the rain, but having visiblity less than 100 yards makes sheep hunting pretty tough

On the third day, we were able to catch a weather break in the afternoon so we put on a good hike to go look for a ram. Awesome country, and lots of blueberries this year so we had some good snacks!

picture.php

Finally got to sit on my first good perch to search for that full curl ram.......

picture.php

Like I said awesome country....

picture.php

Considering this was my first real good day for hunting, I didn't expect a lot in the way of sheep, not sure why, guess I figure that a guy has to hunt for days before seeing a trophy ram:D

Well, 4 hours into our hunt, I glassed some rams coming out onto the hillside about 1000 yards away. 7 rams in total and one looked clearly better than the rest. With my little sheep experience, I totally would be relying on my guide and great friend Harold to tell me whether he thought it was a shooter or not. As soon as Harold looked in the spotter, he says "I think were going to be shooting that ram on the bottom". I looked in the spotter and it clearly looked better than in the binos;)

I told Harold that the dividing ridge between us and the rams was 350 yards and if we could get there, I would feel perfectly comfortable taking that shot of 600 yards. We packed up and made the hike around the basin and out on the dividing ridge. We knew we would have to set up rather quickly as the wind turned and was starting to head their way. Harold said he was going to set up the spotter and take another look to verify 100% that he was legal......About three seconds after his eye hit the spotter, I hear........."uh, you need to shoot that ram". I was assuming that meant it may have been better than the average sheep. I hit the rangefinder and it said 608 yds. After shooting a group less than 2" at this range just a few days prior, I was perfectly confident I could make the shot. I settled in on the last ram and as he was quartering away I put the bead right behind the shoulder........Boom! About 2 seconds later I hear that confirming thwak! Harold said I hit it absolutely perfect from watching in the spotter. I was excited as heck that we had pulled this off so early in the hunt.

The first time I've ever shot something where the animal is actually way bigger after I've shot that before. Normally ground shrinkage hits a little but not this time! I was just blown away that not only did I take a ram, I was lucky enough to take a HUGE ram! He was a 10 yr old ram, that ended up with 14 1/8" bases and double broomed. Even broomed he was 38" and 36" which for me was far better than I expected.

picture.php

I definately want to go again for sheep sometime but doubt I will get a chance to top this ram.

picture.php

picture.php

I definately thank my other good friend Brian Lyles for building this custom rifle for me. Thing shoots like a dream and has really built my confidence in shooting longer distance when needed.

Once we had the sheep all deboned and caped, I started loading the pack for the trip back to "upper" camp. just as I started strapping on the cape, I hear "grizzly bear!, Grizzly bear!!....and of course after being attacked once, that sound to me means that I'm about to get rolled by a bear. I'm scrambling like crazy to get to my rifle and as soon as it hits my hands i'm looking franticly to see where he is coming from............turns out they were 350 yards away which was quite a relief;) Two bears both about the same size. Beauty blonde and a dark chocolate one. I could fill my griz tag less than two hours after my sheep tag!! I elected to pass on the bears just because we thought there was a chance it was a sow with a really big cub. Pretty dang cool though to see two bears already!

After the bears winded us, we loaded up the packs and headed out.

Beautiful ram and great pictures! So where were you hunting, and what was your rifle, caliber and load, if you don't mind me asking. Very heavy bases on that ram...

Always a good feeling packing heavy loads like this.

picture.php

Next day, we decided to stay up high looking for bears. Wind and rain pretty much made us freeze the whole day with no bear sightings but did get to see my first wolverine. He was pretty excited to have that sheep carcass it appreared.

We finally decided we would pack up the next morning and head back to "lower" camp since there were so many berries down lower. Figured we could glass from the river bottoms and look for bears from there.

And who says you can't live for 7 days and also pack out a sheep with a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab:D:D

picture.php

I'm guessing a 6500 would be better for a sheep hunt but my stubbornness to buy one got the best of me............BUT, as you can see, with a couple load cells, it can be done:)

The walk out was a bit nerve racking considering if you fell over with the 120 lb pack, you would have no chance of stopping until you were a ball of goo at the bottom of the canyon:eek:

Break time
picture.php

When we hit the "lower" camp, we were pretty worn out and my buddy Harold was having problems with his ankles (turns out he had two broken bones and a hairline fracture) no wonder it hurt like heck.

But I'm here to tell you, nothing beats a good campfire with fresh ribs, t-loins and backstraps!!

Prepping ribs for the fire:
picture.php

Ram horns make a good rib stick holder by the way:
picture.php

I got my messier sucking down these ribs than my 2 yr old daughter eating eggs:)LOL
picture.php

And can't leave out the next days lunch of fresh sheep t-loins

picture.php

Finally the best part of all!!!!! Backstraps over fire!! YUMMY
picture.php

For those of you that would like to see what the Berger 180 gr VLD looked like from the 600 yd shot on the sheep. Through the ribs and shattered offside shoulder, bullet was pressed between the skin and the hide on the opposite side.
picture.php

We managed to spot those same two bears the next two days but I elected to pass every time just for the fact that the two were together. Even though they were about the same size, i think it was a sow with a young boar.

The next morning we decided to pack up and head up to a good glassing knob and just sit the day out hoping to spot a bear. At this point my trip has been 100% successful so a bear would just be a bonus. Well, after Harold hobbled up to this knob, and barely getting there with his feet hurting bad, I wasn't sure there would be much of a hunt unless the bear ended up coming within 800 yards of our post.

About 2 pm, I decided to take a little snooze and was quickly awakened by "I got a bear spotted". Coming out of a daze, I barely got the spotting scope out and on the bear before it crested a ridge. I told Harold that it was a cool looking bear, black legs and blonde body but there was no time to size it up. His response was, "does it matter how big it is since we might be leaving today or tomorrow"............I was like good point, no it doesen't;)

So 2 hours later we finally made it to the ridgetop where the bear was last seen. No sign of the bear. Finally after about 20 min of glassing, he shows up in my binos. Dang thing had crossed the next valley and was already another 2 miles ahead of us. Well, I felt terrible watching Harold grimice with pain the whole way and he kept telling me to just go and he would catch up but one of the only reasons I went on this hunt was to hunt WITH him..........so I wasn't going anywhere unless he could go too.

Another 2 hrs nearly by the time we got to that saddle the bear dissapeared in. No sign of him. I started glassing the next mountain over and I hear...."you see him over there, and your on your own my friend"...LMAO

So, we figured we had been out hustled by this dang bear but thought we would go just another 400 yards to peek over a small ridge.

About 200 yards later, I spot something strange color in this big basin to the left. Throw up the binos, and sure enough, we finally had run him down;) He was sleeping next to a bush!

I hit the range on him and was 652 yards. I laid down and got comfortable and dialed in for 650 and scooted up a couple yards. Harold was trying to get the spotter ready as I held the crosshairs on Mr Bear. We instantly felt the wind turn about 100 degrees and go right at him. I told Harold to hurry cause he was gonna wind us. I no sooner finished that sentence and watched him jerk his head up and sniff the air. He sat up with his front legs in the air and I told Harold I had to shoot. He dropped the spotter, threw up the binos just in time to hear the shot and watch that bear drop back down exactly where he was laying! It was as perfect of a shot as I could have asked for. In fact the bear was still moving a little and although unnecessary, I shot him again. Both bullet holes were 1" apart on the entrance side.

Pulled it off, a 6 year old boar grizzly that was as pretty colors as I've seen. Black legs, chocolate face and bright blonde body.

picture.php

picture.php

The FHF bino holder that Paul made me was incredible on this trip. Super easy and quick access to my binos at all times, and with having rain every day, they were invaluable. Anyone looking for a top of the line bino case, look up FHF Gear.

picture.php

Again, got to thank Brian for building me this sweet rifle...........by the way, did I mention he has a couple more he is building and looking to sell..LOL:D
Pinpoint accuracy at 650 yards makes a guy feel pretty good

picture.php

My biggest thank you is to Harold for talking me into this hunt. Plus, having one bone broken in 4 pieces and another in 2 along with a hairline fracture to his shinbone, he went the "extra mile" to make this the hunt of a lifetime.......course that extra mile was more like an extra 20 painful miles. Shot that bear 9 miles from camp and some rugged hiking to get back......Thanks Harold!

Nothing like looking at this sitting in camp relaxing!!

picture.php

Going to likely do a full body mount on the sheep and Harold is trying to talk me into doing the bear the same since it is so full of color.....(of course he would being my taxidermist and all) He does awesome work so I'll probably let him talk me into it:)

Congrats on both animals! Great pics and story too. Isn't funny how our taxidermists talk us into the stuff they do!

You sheep murderer you, how do you sleep at night! ( had to give you a bad time for not catching a lot of flack for whacking the wolf, like your partner did)
Great pics and story, looks like fun, except for the pack out. What cal is your rifle? Did a number on the Sheep. AND the Bear!!!

Last edited:
Beautiful ram and great pictures! So where were you hunting, and what was your rifle, caliber and load, if you don't mind me asking. Very heavy bases on that ram...

Hunted the Brooks range. Hunted with my new 7mm short mag, shooting 180 gr bergers at 2970 fps. 59 grains of RE 17 is what that rifle is liking a lot.

You sheep murderer you, how do you sleep at night! ( had to give you a bad time for not catching a lot of flack for whacking the wolf, like your partner did)
Great pics and story, looks like fun, except for the pack out. What cal is your rifle? Did a number on the Sheep. AND the Bear!!!

Hey, just for the record, I offered to take as much of the beating as he wants to pass off:)

Durn nice ram. Griz was for sure a bonus. 2/3 of a Brooks Range Slam, next time get a Bou as well!

Been home long enough now (sleeping in soft bed) to really miss that place already.

I wish everyone could experience a week or so up there hunting, I'm sure you'd agree.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back