PEAX Equipment

2 for 3 in Wyoming Elk 2014

streamer

Headed to Wyoming on Sept. 23 for first rifle hunt. Brought 2 new guys in this year that never backpack hunted before. Walked in about 6 miles to camp, could not stress enough about putting what you can carry on your back and my 2 partners ended up leaving a small pack each in the woods to get on the way out. Opening day brought nice weather and bulls were talking, right out of the gate I had a good bull responding to the hochie mama, I just couldn't get to him before he crested the ridge. Started putting the boots to the ground again and called up another, he was a smaller 5x5 and I move on, that bull got another one going above me and he looked nice, a 5x5. He bugled every time I called soon he was 60yards in the thickest pines. Checked the wind and I called again and he came on a string, stopped in a opening at 20 yards shot him 3 times before he fell within 10 yards of me. Done by 9:30 so I went down to get my pack that I left half way up, bumped into my buddy and he wanted to help take pics and see how to debone an elk gutless. We got it all done and bagged when it started to rain a little and got cooler, I told my buddy to give me his calls so I cow called a little and gave one bugle. We sat down had a granola bar, as I was telling him I wasn't looking forward to putting on the pack when I noticed something to my right, it was a bull and he was already at 40 yards away and coming right at us, I laid down and told my buddy there a bull right there! He was going to have to shoot right over me so he trying standing up and the bull took off across the valley, I pushed him forward to get a shot and started cow calling he was soon at 250 yards and getting to the timber, he shot and was just over him, he had one more window to shoot and this bull was gone when he let one bark from his 300, it looked like a hit I said, he got into the timber and started wobbling then crashed down, a nice 6x6 his first bull. We were high five'n and hooting like a couple of school girls. That was just as fun as pulling the trigger myself being involved in the kill. He could have dropped that bull within 15yards of mine but ended up in the steepest stuff he could find, 2 down by 2:00. We got them both down to camp by the next morning. The next day our other hunter wasn't feeling right, he decided to come out with us and helped pack out part of a elk with his gear. We took him to the clinic and they said he had altitude sickness and should not go back into the woods, so his hunt ended short, he did see a bull and 2 cows in his one and a half day hunt. My buddy and I had to pack the rest of the elk out without him, as we were filling our packs we had an outfitter come right passed us with 6 pack mules and we offered to pay him to take 2- 50lb game bags off us and he said NO. As he came back in we talked to him on the trail to see if he would pack us in the next time we draw and he said NO and that he has clients that pay $4000 to hunt with him and he needs to be able to take his clients 5 miles each way and not see other hunters, I wanted to say this is public land and we were 3 miles from his camp but I let it go, that's why I think he would not help us he wanted us to feel the burn so we would not want to come back, NOT A CHANCE. To top it off a week after we got back from our hunt 2 of us were not feeling right and went in to get checked and we both had Gierdia good thing we caught it early sounds like that can get bad. My wives friend knows someone that had there colon removed because of it. Not sure if our water treating tablets were outdated and did not work but 2 out of 3 of us got it. I now bought a purifying pump and an individual one also because I will be going back again. On a good note the elk tastes great and we had alot of fun.

Attachments

• DSCF0080.jpg
    DSCF0080.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 746
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 738
Congrats, the rut with a rifle would be fun!

So, I'm just curious, you guys didn't pack a water filter this trip? And just used tablets for all of your water needs back in there?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back