2 1/2" 16 gauge ammo needed

44hunter45

@JLS, @Ben Lamb, @BrentD

OK - First thing is I am not wanting to start spitting contest like the "16 is dead..." thread.

I have been tasked with finding 2 1/2" field loads for an early 1900's 16. I haven't seen it yet, but it's likely English and too valuable to jerk around with the wrong loads.
This is an heirloom gun that has been handed down and the new owner wants to hunt it at least once before it goes back in the safe with it's leather suitcase.

Where can I get vintage pressure 2 1/2" loads? My googling keeps landing me with "out of stock"
I've looked at RST and Polywad.

Most likely quarry would be grouse or pheasants. I might get a turkey in REALLY close for her. 6 shot preferred, but 7 1/2 or 8 would get us in the grouse woods.

Well RST is the standard answer. Beyond that, "in my basement" there is an assortment of home-rolled. Sadly, there is not a gun to match. I sold my 16 and I need another.

Lots of guys shoot 2.75" in 2.5" chambers, but I don't. It's easy to cut down and make my own.

These days, finding ammo is twice as hard as finding a boone and crocket bull elk and ALMOST as hard as finding a legal elk tag... But I digress. I simply don't know how to find it other than to pick a couple or 6 different places that have carried it in the past and keep watching and checking. Sooner or later, it will show up, but when I have no idea.

Check the RST website every morning before you have breakfast? They do sell direct.

You might get someone nearby to reload for you.

Good luck and post pics of the gun. Always nice to see a good double.

Go to ballistic products and get yourself some 16 gauge shells, wads, shot, and over shot card and a roll crimper. You may need to trim 1/4" off and they make a tool for that tool. They have load data available.
Their orders take about 10 days to ship

What MtHntr said. Roll crimps will further reduce the pressures and you can do all of this with very few tools.

I cut my hulls with either the band saw or the table saw. I made a simple two-board sled that runs against the fence and I can slice them down with just a few seconds for each one. But buying already cut hulls will make it easier to roll because the thickness of the last 1/4" tapers to the edge somewhat.

New roll crimpers will work best in a drill press (or at least a hand drill), but you can buy an antique one on ebay that clamps to your table and hand cranks.

But don't let that stop you from buying a press. Just expensive if you will only do a few hundred or so. And you will have to figure out how to set it for 2.5". Not sure if that is easy or hard.

What MtHntr said. Roll crimps will further reduce the pressures and you can do all of this with very few tools.

I cut my hulls with either the band saw or the table saw. I made a simple two-board sled that runs against the fence and I can slice them down with just a few seconds for each one. But buying already cut hulls will make it easier to roll because the thickness of the last 1/4" tapers to the edge somewhat.

New roll crimpers will work best in a drill press (or at least a hand drill), but you can buy an antique one on ebay that clamps to your table and hand cranks.

But don't let that stop you from buying a press. Just expensive if you will only do a few hundred or so. And you will have to figure out how to set it for 2.5". Not sure if that is easy or hard.
That sparks an idea. I'm going to try to find some Magtech (CBC) 16 gauge brass hulls and do this the old fashioned way.

So far I have found the 14 and 13 gauge wads I would need. Everyone seems to be out of stock on the brass hulls.

Last edited:
@JLS, @Ben Lamb, @BrentD

OK - First thing is I am not wanting to start spitting contest like the "16 is dead..." thread.

I have been tasked with finding 2 1/2" field loads for an early 1900's 16. I haven't seen it yet, but it's likely English and too valuable to jerk around with the wrong loads.
This is an heirloom gun that has been handed down and the new owner wants to hunt it at least once before it goes back in the safe with it's leather suitcase.

Where can I get vintage pressure 2 1/2" loads? My googling keeps landing me with "out of stock"
I've looked at RST and Polywad.

Most likely quarry would be grouse or pheasants. I might get a turkey in REALLY close for her. 6 shot preferred, but 7 1/2 or 8 would get us in the grouse woods.
Connecticut Valley Arms is a possible, that's where i get my 2 1/2 in 12 and 28 stuff.

Looked through all the distributors I use and none of them offer anything in 2 1/2 inch

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back