1st Antelope Buck - Wyoming

ekimmob

Well the great state of Wyoming did not disappoint when it came to the quantity of antelope. They were truly everywhere, unfortunately when you are hunting a unit with limited public land it can be a little frustrating. The hunt started with my brother-in-law, my cousin and I heading to Wyoming. We had seven total tags (two bucks and five does) and really no idea what to expect when we go to our unit. Part of me wanted to think we'd be done in one day since there are so many antelope, but the realist in me knew that wasn't the case.

Considering we had limited public land access, our hunt went pretty much as expected. We drove around a lot and saw a ton country, even made it up in to Montana. It was pretty amazing to see all the antelope, mule deer and whitetail deer in the area. We couldn't drive over a ridge in the road without seeing antelope, deer, etc., on the other side!

The first day of the hunt we spent getting to know the area, but we didn't have any luck that day. We did get a stalk in on a nervous doe and her fawn, but never ended up making it work. The second day, again we lucked in to some antelope on public land, but a storm rolled in and by the time we got to them they were herded back up again on private land. On the third day, we hit pay dirt with my brother-in-law taking a doe in the early afternoon. The fourth day we ended up seeing some antelope we suspected were on public land, so my cousin and I set off to get closer. We found a small gully that we were able to follow up toward the herd, and we were downwind too. We crept up the gully, and when we ran out of that we were luck enough to have a small rise in the land to give us some cover from the herd. Considering how flat it was, we were lucky to have all these terrain features working to our advantage. Once we go to the end of the rise my cousin and I both started to belly crawl for about another 100 yards. Once I decided we were close enough I was able to pick the buck out of the crowd and my cousin picked out a doe for him to take. We were really we concealed in the tall grass and the antelope didn't even know we were there...I would estimate that we were within 200 yards when we started shooting. I shot first, made a solid hit, but he didn't go down right away so i kept shooting until he dropped. My cousin did the same and we had a two-fer! After that it was all congratulations as this was my cousin's first antelope and my first antelope buck.

We spent the final day driving around looking for opportunities, but it never happened. We left mildly defeated because we didn't tag out, but all happy with the animals we had harvested and the good times we had during the hunt. I will remember this hunt for a long time! And as you can see from the photos, Wyoming is a pretty place that is definately worth the journey.

Happy hunting and stay safe out there! Mike

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9210.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

Congrats on some great "firsts." Hope they are the first of many for both of you.

Congrats!! I had my first Wyoming experience this season as well. What an awesome place and a great story! The meat is excellent table fare.

great buck congrats ....i go my first this year and cant wait till next October rolls around

Back