Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

15 Minute Season

Carl

Sometimes things just work out.

This year, I packed into the area I was deer hunting the day before the season. Spotted a buck I'd be happy with after a few hours of glassing, figured what ridge would put me within range in the morning, backed off a bit and slept (a little) in my bivy.

CIMG3113crop.jpg

Woke up early, made some coffee, and got in position well before light. Ended up being about 100 yards farther from the cliffs he was feeding on than I planned, and was glad I spent a lot of time shooting farther ranges this summer. I was a bit concerned about a 10-15 mph wind, but it was entirely head on. Seemed to take forever and ever to get light, but finally I could start to pick things out on the hillside in question. Saw a few groups of does, but the first buck I found was the one from the night before. He had shifted a bit, and I had to adjust my position to allow for his new location.

P1010470.JPG

As I was setting up the shot, the wind died to nothing. Dry fired once, then sent a live one his way. Got a confidence boosting THWACK for my trouble, and as I was settling for a second shot, he tumbled down the mountain and luckily got caught in some trees. Did a victory dance for myself, and then commenced the work.

P1010487.JPG

P1010554.JPG

P1010548.JPG

P1010582.JPG

Shot at first light, got to the truck at 9:00 pm, one mildly painful trip. I'm just glad it wasn't an elk.

P1010585.JPG

Speaking of elk, I guess it's time to hunt them!

great job--

2 questions--what's the tape on the barrel or what is that that looks like tape?? and what back pack is that??.....chris

Good buck, and nice hero shots.

Since you're a gear nut, and I'm in the market, what did you use for sleeping bag and bivy?

That trip makes up for one that had nothing go right.

Nice buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back