10-Year Old Son's First Big Salmon

elkrchr

The fishing on the Columbia River has been red hot the past week or two. My buddy borrowed my boat on Sunday (09/06) and took his dad and cousin out fishing. They absolutely hammered the salmon, so we decided to go out Labor Day afternoon for a few hours. What a great way to end summer break for my son. First fish of the day and my son was up. As he struggled with the beast, we reeled in the other two lines and dropped off anchor to chase the fish. It was immediately apparent that a good sized fish was working my son over. He was a trooper, kept the line tight (barbless hooks) and after about 10 minutes, we had the chrome beast in the net. The fish was 41 inches long and weighed 31 pounds. Catching that fish is all he talked about for the rest of the afternoon and evening. We limited out in short order and then practiced some catch and release before heading back to the launch. I can't think of a better way to go into the school year!

Attachments

• Wyatt Fighting Fish.jpg
    Wyatt Fighting Fish.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 516
  • Wyatt Vertical.jpg
    Wyatt Vertical.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 516
  • Wyatt Horizontal.jpg
    Wyatt Horizontal.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 520
Dad will have to get that one on the wall! Great fish over 30lbs? Congrats to your son and you for taking him!

Wow! I can only imagine how fired up your son was over this one. He's going to have the memory of a great experience for the rest of his life.

Congratulations don't just go to your son for the catch. But, maybe more so to you for the contribution to future generations. Way to go!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back