'08 AK Dall Sheep report

T Bone

This hunt had been in the works since catching sheep fever after drawing Idaho Bighorn a few years ago. I'd always dreamed of hunting Dall sheep and I put considerable time and planning into it. I'd chosen Jake Jefferson from Black River Hunting as my guide. I liked the fact that he run's a small operation and only 1 sheep hunt per year. Talkeetna mountain rainge in Alaska was the place. He encouraged me to pick up a grizz tag as it's the norm to run into one or two on sheep hunts.

My hopes and expectations are high. This is a once in a lifetime deal for me, while I understand what often happens with hunting, I'd be thrilled with a chance at a ram. A grizz would be a bonus, but white sheep is what I have my hat set for.

Friday August 8th- Finally, it was go time. After working a few hours in the office I pointed the truck towards Billings airport. I chose to fly out of there vs. Rapid City as a result of the Sturgis Bike Rally. The airlines heavily overbook all outbound flights during the rally due to the large number of no-shows, so I chose to avoid the hassle and drive to Billings.

I dropped my pickup off with a buddy and he ran me to the airport. Alaska/Horizon had a goof with a database upgrade months ago and somehow my reservation made 10 months prior was lost. The fella at the counter worked for over an hour juggling options and actually got me scheduled to arrive in Anchorage ahead of schedule. Myself and my bags arrived in Anchorage without additional problems.

I checked into the Econolodge motel late and found a large clean room where my guide Jake would pick me up Saturday morning.

Saturday August 9th- The plan was that Jake would pick me up at 10 am, we'd stop and buy license and tags (Dall and Grizz) and then head to Talkeetna where the airtaxi service would fly us out to the mountains.

License and tags were obtained at Wally World, but a phone call brought news that storms had made flying a no-go. We went to Jake's house and I looked at pics and videos of prior hunts. Evening came and went with the same news of bad visibility-no flying.

Jake put me up at the Big Lake motel and I spent a fidgeting night hoping that we could fly out on Sunday.

Sunday August 10th- Opening day of sheep season! Best case scenario we'll fly out this morning and we can find some sheep and start hunting tomorrow.

After a heavy breakfast in the local cafe, Jake picks me up and we get the word to get to the airplane fast as there appears to be a brief break in the weather.

We arrive at the base camp of the Air Taxi and load up the Cessna.
p8103343.jpg

Weather is spotty on the way out and for a minute or two the pilot was saying "boy, I don't know..." with the limited visibility.

He presses on as the weather lifts enough and we land on the high lake below some awesome looking snow covered sheep country.

Upon landing we double check the packs, check zero on the rifle, and start marching up the valley toward the peaks. We're sheep hunting!

We stumble on the remains of winterkill full curl ram. That could only be good luck right?
p8103347.jpg

After a few miles we near the beginning of sheep country, set camp and venture into the canyon and glass.
p8103356.jpg

I consider myself a fair hand at spotting critters, and quickly impress Jake with my ability to call out white rocks as sheep. I'm brilliant. I need to calm down.

We spot a ewe and nothing more. We back down to camp and get set for the evening. Mountain House for dinner fends off the harsh wind and rain. It's darned chilly. I was already wishing I'd of brought a warmer bag instead of my 30 degree rating. The night was a bit cool, but not uncomfortable.

I'll write more later :)

Good start,keep it coming.I'm wondering if you filled both tags or not.

Tyson.. IF I remember corectly, and I have a Hunttalk story and consistant history to prove it, You spot "Sheep" very well.... that aren't there. :D

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story to hear what ya got, if anything.....

Great looking country......can't wait for the rest of the story.....and Trophy Pics?

sounds like your off to a good start on the story, can't wait for the rest of it.

Monday August 11th

Oatmeal and hot chocolate chased the morning chills away and we left the tents up and took enough supplies for a day hunt up the canyon.

Up we went, with intermittent showers and cloud white-outs. We spot the single ewe again, and that's it. We continue up to the top and the weather lifts for a bit. Gorgeous country. This pic is Jake glassing for white critters in the snow.
p8113363.jpg

We move and check out a high pass known as a sheep highway. We find not a single track.
p8113364.jpg

Jakes real familiar with the area and feels that the sheep aren't here, but in one canyon over. We head back down the canyon toward camp.
p8113367.jpg

In my mind the next canyon over should only be a couple hours of travel. After inspecting the map, it becomes clear that the next canyon over is going to be quite a hike. Picture the canyons heading up like a whole sliced pie. The center being the crown of all the canyons coming together. The sides being impassable, we'd have to walk out to the outer edge and circle around the crust. MMMM. Pie. I like pie.

We pack up camp. We have enough supplies for 9 days. Packs are heavy but manageable. We head out, get of the rocks and ease up on a rolling bench of what I'd describe as rolling green caribou hills, intermittent with tundra type clumps, rocks, and swamps.
p8113373.jpg

We cover ground fast and was at the mouth of the next canyon by 9 pm. We pick up 5 caribou feeding about a mile out and we watch them until late. With heavy eyes I take one more look at the sunset. And go to bed.

p8123375.jpg

Tuesday Aug 12th.

The night was frigid. Wearing a couple layers I kept warm enough. We woke to find moving water had frozen. We packed up camp and headed up. With in a few hours we're getting to the good stuff and we pick up a single sheep across the canyon. A single animal with a blocky body....it's gotta be a ram. Out comes the spotter, and Jake confirms it's a ram, but a dinker. First ram spotted.

We continue up and watch the canyon unfold into the most beautiful little pocket canyon you've ever seen. Surely, this would hold rams.

p8123378.jpg

We spot 5 ewes and lambs, but no rams. We continue up and find no others. We spend a few hours continuing up the canyon and glass. Nothing.

We end the day by circling back around to see if we can find the dinker ram, and see if he was following other rams when we saw him.

We finally find him, and he's a loner.

We move on with the game plan and start heading out to the ede of the pie in order to access the next canyon. We cover a lot of ground by evening and are within striking distance of the next canyon by nightfall.

We eat and retire. Ha, today is my 36th Birthday. What a birthday present to be here!

I gotta go to work at 12:00 don't leave us hangin!! Oh well, it will leave me lookin forward to gettin home tonight, T Bone awsome pics and story already!!!!

-Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back