07 Bull

ELKCHSR

The day started out in the minus temps, cold and windy

2007_056.jpg

I had been driving around looking high for good areas to hike into for about two days down around the Idaho border

There was one area in particular that looked like a promising place to hold elk

The day before you could see every thing, but today, it was really fogged in towards the top with an inversion

Parking the truck, I swung my day bag onto my back and headed up the mountainside

About ¾’s the way up, I decided to sit down for a nice lunch; I was just starting to get into the foggy part of the hill and the fire felt pretty good

2007_032.jpg

Since I had come to this area and looked around, I had only found one set of elk tracks on the other side of the valley from my location and it showed it was moving along at a good clip

The fog was freezing on every thing and looked very cool as if the world had been flocked

When I got to the top of the hill, there were elk tracks every where

I got onto a small herd of about 6-7 and started dogging along staying on the uphill side of the highest set of tracks

After about an hour and a half, I spied a small bull down the hill from me at about 50 yards in a stand of lodge pole pines lying in the snow looking down the hill

I stalked to within 20 yards, took aim and hit him in the back of the neck right below the base of the skull

He just laid his head down as if going to sleep, at the same moment, I heard a number of others heading down the hill from me into the darker timber

2007_073.jpg

Getting a glimpse of a couple fleeing elk, I notice I must have been following a small band of bulls and one looked to be a decent boy, but I'm not greedy and was plenty happy with what I already had

Now the work started

After cleaning my elk, I headed the four miles back to the truck for my sled

By the time I got back to the top of the hill, it was almost dark, so set up a small natural shelter and stayed the night

First thing in the morning, I set out for my prize

I rolled the whole carcass on the sled and was going to head back up the hill to the trail out and found it was a little heavy for one guy

I cut him in half, removed the head, and took three trips to where I needed to head back out

After getting the pieces to the trail, I loaded every thing up and huffed him out of the hills, taking all day before getting to the truck

I would have had more pics, but the cold took its toll on the battery in the camera

All well, I had a heck of a time getting the two halves in the truck because of the weight, but eventually made it.... :)

way to get on them. congrats.

Thanks guys for the compliments, I really appreciate it... :)

LOL e_h... six months isn't long to wait if your a mountian... :D

First off, you have to sound like an elk when walking ;)

Second, it makes it harder if the snow is crunchy, this was slightly crunchy, mostly powder because of the extreme cold, easier to stalk in... :)

Kudos on the hunt !!! Looks like a fun time. you said by the Idaho border, So I'm guessing thats a montana Bull ? Or did you pick up an Idaho tag and were right on the border ? I love hunting elk in the snow.

so set up a small natural shelter and stayed the night

hehe....

Muleyslyr-

Most of the elk I've ever harvested, I've hiked out, I like the work out and solitude :)

Moosie-

I was on the extended hunt Montana put on last year

The battery in my camera quit working, or I would have had a few more pics... :)

You guys are a little funny about shelters aren't you??? :D

Well, I don't take the time to construct elaborate shelters any more

For one, it takes to long, and secondly, there are too many other interesting things to experience with out spending all my time constructing some thing that I'll only be in for a night or two

This is about the extent of what is put together any more

It suffices just fine to temps into the -20’s, I don’t know if it works for colder, haven’t had the temps to prove it yet

You can sleep very close to a fire and it doesn't take much debris to insulate one from the ground, during the right time of year (when the wind is howling, one can get most all the material they need by just picking it up...

If it’s a little windy, some logs or an old stump on the back side, and some thing to stuff into the cracks, make a small dead air space to lay in out of the wind

This is what I’ve been building now for a number of years, it also only takes about 20-45 minutes to construct

bed_1.jpg

it takes you 20-45 mins to cut a few branches and place them at the base of a tree?? :D

when are you coming over the hill again, russ? i see donald all the time...he bought my dads old truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back