Z3 3x9x36 or VX3HD 2.5x8x36

In that particular comparison, I like the Leupold better. The 2.5-8x36 might just be the single best overall pure hunting scope out there. 8x is enough for 300 yard shots...2.5x is enough for 20 yard close range shots. I think the Swaro has slightly better glass but I prefer the lower power range for the tight woods hunting I do.

I also think Leupold make a locking turret version of that scope if you need to reach out a bit. I use a 3-9 to ring steel at 600 yards so there is no reason 8x can't do the same.

(*I have two or three of the 2.5-8x36)

I have the Leupold. I really like it and have put it through it’s paces the last 15 years or so. But I have handled and looked over the Z3 as recently as this week and it is great as well. Hard choice to make, the Leupold being a cheaper option.

Following, I have a model 7 that I’m working on and these two are at the top of my list along with the Maven rs2. My wife’s 7 wears one of the Leupolds now and I have zero complaints. The Swaro being on sale through the end of the year is making the decision more difficult…

I think the Swaro is better glass, and as @Schaaf pointed out the FOV is better at low power with the Swaro. I don't see the 0.5x difference on the low end making a swing one way or the other, same with the top end magnification.

All other things being equal, quality of glass and price wins.

I own both of these scopes. the Z3 is on a browning Abolt medallion in 30-06 and the VX3 is on a Savage weather warrior in 308. the z3 has better glass. It compares favorably to my Leica ER5 and the various VX5 Leupold scopes that I have. That being said it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle and scope combo. The z3 3-9 has a duplex reticle while the VX3 has a CDS dial with the duplex reticle. Longer shots are probably easier with the Leupold because of the CDS. If long shots aren't a thing for you then I would go for the Z3. It does cost more though. If you want a ranging reticle you can get the z3 BRH in 3-10. You can also get the alumina lens caps for the Leupold if that matters to you. I like them and buy them for my Leupolds. I think they're both good scopes.

I have a Z3 on a Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 and a VX 3 Boone and Crockett on a Hawkeye .300 Win Mag. They are both great scope but I give the edge to the Z3. It could be because I shoot the 6.5 more often.

Reactions: CCH
I own both of these scopes. the Z3 is on a browning Abolt medallion in 30-06 and the VX3 is on a Savage weather warrior in 308. the z3 has better glass. It compares favorably to my Leica ER5 and the various VX5 Leupold scopes that I have. That being said it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle and scope combo. The z3 3-9 has a duplex reticle while the VX3 has a CDS dial with the duplex reticle. Longer shots are probably easier with the Leupold because of the CDS. If long shots aren't a thing for you then I would go for the Z3. It does cost more though. If you want a ranging reticle you can get the z3 BRH in 3-10. You can also get the alumina lens caps for the Leupold if that matters to you. I like them and buy them for my Leupolds. I think they're both good scopes.
But if you shoot a different weight bullet, or possibly the same weight with different BC. Or change elevation, say Alabama to Wyoming.
Your CDS is out the window!

But if you shoot a different weight bullet, or possibly the same weight with different BC. Or change elevation, say Alabama to Wyoming.
The CDS system wouldn’t be out the window unless you had a turret marked with only yardages for a specific load (w/o MOA or MIL markings). If you stick with the dial that comes with it, you would just dial the MOA or MIL that goes with the distance/load/conditions present at the time of the shot. I stayed with the stock dial on my 3-18 VX-6 for that very reason.

I’ve owned Swaro rifle glass, very clear but the 3hd is pretty darn close. I’m leaning to the Z3 due to form…and function. Considering the 3x9x36 and the 3x10x42 in the 4A reticle. 6mm is a quarter of an inch. Size and weight are close. Think the smaller will complement why I’m doing the mods to the stnlss #1. If I weren’t trying to keep it trim, more period correct, and simple I’d go with a 3.5x10x40 VX3HD 30mm Firedot.

This is true. It's not perfect and you have to make adjustments but it works pretty well.

The CDS system wouldn’t be out the window unless you had a turret marked with only yardages for a specific load (w/o MOA or MIL markings). If you stick with the dial that comes with it, you would just dial the MOA or MIL that goes with the distance/load/conditions present at the time of the shot. I stayed with the stock dial on my 3-18 VX-6 for that very reason.
Thats what I did this last season In montana with my 7rm. Worked just fine.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back