Caribou Gear Tarp

Yukon T Moose hunt

diem24

Sept 15-25, 2012. Shot him on Sept 24. 53" spread, big body, and incredible fronts and fighting points. Right paddle is cocked inwards or he might have made high 50's. And a 42" Northern that was really healthy. All in all, it was a trip that I will remember forever.

Nice fish and very nice moose. looks like an awkward position to have to work on gutting the moose though. congrats

Great fish and even better Bull. Did you get him with a bow or rifle? And like someone else said what are fighting points.

great looking trip. Moose with a bow is on my bucket list for sure. ( I would only wear that hat up there where nobody would see me too) !! :D

Thanks to all but Jose Cuervo. I always get a kick out of how welcoming guys like Jose C are to new members. The "keyboard superstars" who have to tend to giving economics lessons (Ive read your other rants in the past) and thread beatdowns, that are too busy to actually get out and hunt. I hunted w Dean Sandulak/Trophy Stone Outfitters. Excellent guy and outfit. Ive already re-booked next fall for a Grizzly, Caribou, Moose hunt. Prob wont shoot another moose unless he's BnC.

The whole story is this....I left home at 330 am on a Wed out of Chicago. Flew into Whitehorse where Dean's wife picked me up at 11pm. I stayed in a hotel (slept about 15 minutes uninterrupted) that night and flew into the bush (the next morning) about 350 miles NE, just south of Rogue River (Jim Shockey) and MacMillan River Adv (Don Lund). I got to camp and fished that afternoon (couldnt hunt bc of the flight in). The fishing was incredible for 3 days. That pm we got out and scouted and called from the boat. No moose sign at all on the lake we were on. I spotted a BnC caribou on Day 3 close to Glenlyon Peak. I guessed it was 3000 ft up and 2-3 mile hike up the mtn. My guide was a very experienced bushman/trapper/hunter, but he was 70 years old on the day I flew in, overweight and had a bad leg. Good guy, knowledgeable and fun to hear his old stories, but not mobile. Wolves howled every night. Saw the same caribou every night at 6-630 skyline on the same peak. I finally asked him on day 7 if I could go harvest the caribou. He said no. I said I understood but wasnt happy with it. I understood it meant a long, steep hike solo and a night on the mtn by myself w no tent. A field dressing job and packing a huge bull caribou out by myself. He said he couldnt risk having something go wrong. Day 9 was almost over and we were in the boat headed bk to camp, when he said, "Big bull moose". I was up front, pissed off, bored and half asleep when I spotted him. We rolled in and started calling him. My primary weapon was the bow but we couldnt get up on him so I give him 2 shots w a 300 Jarrett. One would have been enough though. We shot him rt before sundown so we opened him up and field dressed him to come back in the morning for him. It wasnt a long distance pack job but I carried every piece of that moose on a pack board myself. The fishing shut off on day 3 but before that it was insane. I caught a couple over 40" northern pike and a bunch of decent lake trout. Physically, this hunt was less demanding than what I enjoy. Mentally it was brutal because we hadnt seen moose or even moose sign at all. Still a great experience that I would love to try on my own in Alaska. I would highly recommend Trophy Stone Outfitters and am considering a Stone sheep hunt w them in 2014.

grats Diem and thanks for sharing your story. If you don't mind, in terms of cost, what do think the trip set you back? Just trying to put this in perspective with what Randy itemized for a DIY. I know there are variables but ballpark would be helpful. Again, congrats!

Hunt 12k
Trophy fee 5k
Flight Chi-Whitehorse $800
hotels 2 nights $240
Overpriced Boston pizza $42
New Kinnetreks $400
Dozen PSC arrows and thunderheads $175??
Sitka gear $900
300 Jarrett shells $8 lol ($4 per shot)
European Mount $840
Tip for guide $1500
Im sure Im forgetting a bunch of odds/ends but thats most of it. The boots are amazing btw. Best Ive owned but when they say break them in for 30-50 miles, you better actually do it bc they are stuff and the heel lift is an issue. Sitka stuff is amazing as well.

Total 22k but the hunt was in the 20k range excluding the gear etc that will be used for many years hopefully.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back