Yukon T Moose hunt

Canadian Yukon hunts have to be outfitted unless youre a resident of the Yukon. I think for the money, you can save a bunch by hunting DIY in Alaska which I have started researching. I think you could prob get one done for $6-8 ish depending on how you do the taxidermy. I'd like to shoot another one but only bigger but dont really want to pay that much again. Im booked for fall 2014 but will be ultra selective as to what I shoot and my primary target will be a caribou or griz. The main cost of a DIY yourself hunt is the air charter into the bush and the flight from wherever "home" is. And of course, lost wages while youre not working. ITs not cheap but its a whole lotta fun.

Diem a friend has been hunting up there for years , he's from Va and says he avg. 10K per hunt.
Thanks for sharing the story. Exciting for someone who most likely will never get the opportunity. Thanks again. .

Canadian Yukon hunts have to be outfitted unless youre a resident of the Yukon. I think for the money, you can save a bunch by hunting DIY in Alaska which I have started researching. I think you could prob get one done for $6-8 ish depending on how you do the taxidermy. I'd like to shoot another one but only bigger but dont really want to pay that much again. Im booked for fall 2014 but will be ultra selective as to what I shoot and my primary target will be a caribou or griz. The main cost of a DIY yourself hunt is the air charter into the bush and the flight from wherever "home" is. And of course, lost wages while youre not working. ITs not cheap but its a whole lotta fun.

Diem, awesome moose and fish....I'm a bit confused though. SOunds like you tipped a guy a pretty hefty sum for a guy that wouldn't let you chase a bomber bou and then let you pack your entire moose by yourself.

Seemed like possibly you were recommending someone that didn't quite provide you with as fun of a hunt as you were hoping for. Sounded like you only saw the one moose??

Bummed for you that you didn't get to chase that bou man.

Awesome moose though, would love to shoot one like it someday.

Congrats on a great moose....and fish:)

Not getting a crack at getting up and down the mountain on that caribou was a kick in the pants bc I had to watch him day after day for 5 days straight. I had him patterned n planned how I would setup on him. How Id go up and what Id have to take to survive a long cold night on a mtn w no tent.

I usually tip 10-15% off the hunt cost. I was torn on what to give him but we harvested a good animal and I had fun. I went on the high side bc next year I had plans to rebook and I want to go w the outfitters son, who is an part goat and just dont quit. I didnt want to look like a cheapa$$ and get shat on when I came bk next year. I dont get off anymore by just squeezing the trigger. Moreso, I enjoy, the scouting, glassing, hanging treestands, anxiously looking at trail cam pics, hunting, skinning, gutting, packing and then cooking what gets shot. 10 years ago, it was about killing. Now its about the prep and the hunt for me.

Congrats on a great moose!

Hunt 12k
Trophy fee 5k
Flight Chi-Whitehorse $800
hotels 2 nights $240
Overpriced Boston pizza $42
New Kinnetreks $400
Dozen PSC arrows and thunderheads $175??
Sitka gear $900
300 Jarrett shells $8 lol ($4 per shot)
European Mount $840
Tip for guide $1500
Im sure Im forgetting a bunch of odds/ends but thats most of it. The boots are amazing btw. Best Ive owned but when they say break them in for 30-50 miles, you better actually do it bc they are stuff and the heel lift is an issue. Sitka stuff is amazing as well.

Total 22k but the hunt was in the 20k range excluding the gear etc that will be used for many years hopefully.
You're single right?:D

probably not for long. Luckily she loves the taste of moose, elk and other wild game. Shes not keen on me being gone for so long but I make it right with her, ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back