Youth Deer Hunt

maxx

Tomorrow is the opening day of the Iowa Youth Deer season. Iowa does a great job of providing opportunity for youth hunting. They also allow the parent to make the decision of when they feel there kids are ready to hunt. Both my boys are older souls and responsible little men so they have had the privilege to hunt early. You have to have one license adult with each kid so my old man is driving up from WI to hunt with my 8 year old. Two years ago he sat with my 10 year old who was then 8 and help him kill his second deer. Last year at 7 my now 8 year old killed a 7 point on the first night.

It should be a fun season, this always kicks it off. First pic is my older boy when he was 7 and killed his first doe, then the next one is the doe he killed with my dad and the last is my younger boys buck from last year!

The other good thing about Iowa youth season is you can actually get on some public ground. The rest of the seasons there are too many party hunters. My youngest got his first deer last year on public ground and I think we were the only ones hunting it. Hopefully we will be posting some pictures tomorrow too. Good luck to you guys tomorrow it looks like the weather will be almost perfect. What part of Iowa are you from?

The other good thing about Iowa youth season is you can actually get on some public ground. The rest of the seasons there are too many party hunters. My youngest got his first deer last year on public ground and I think we were the only ones hunting it. Hopefully we will be posting some pictures tomorrow too. Good luck to you guys tomorrow it looks like the weather will be almost perfect. What part of Iowa are you from?

I live west of Des Moines.

All three pictures above are on public ground. My older boys two does came from the same exact spot. We typically are alone on this ground. It is very good public ground until the shotgun seasons hit.

My older boy had a nice 120" plus 10 in the field when he killed that doe. We saw him the week earlier along with a large group of does. We had settle in and 5 minutes later we had does in the field. They were to far, we ended up having does in the field all night. The buck came out with 45 minutes of shooting light. He also came out a little far. With 10 minutes of light left he started to work closer to us. He was going to end up giving us a 45 yard broadside shot. I got my son set up to shoot him when we heard something come from the other direction. I could tell the doe was going to be 20 yards from us. I asked him if he wanted to wait the buck out or shoot the doe. You can guess the decision he made. After he shot the doe the buck just stood there.

We are north of Waterloo. There is a small piece of public that is just across the river from our house. It is the same for us on youth season we sit in one spot and always see deer.

I think im more excited than my son is. This is his last year for the youth season then he will be on his own. Good luck to the kids and stay safe.

We hunt private in Butler county and public when we are in northeast Iowa. We will be hunting the private this weekend because my boys have football tonight and watch the game film on sunday. That doesnt leave much time to head up to lansing.

Best wishes to you guys and your children. My youngest daughter is now 16 and therefore can not hunt the youth season anymore. My nephew will be out down around Ames, hopefully he will have a pic for me to share. This has been a great season to get kids involved.

Awesome! I'll be doing the same with my now 8yo a week from Sunday. He doesn't get to hunt the Saturday of youth season as he has a football game.

GOOD LUCK!

GOOD Luck! The youth season is a great time to pattern a buck and they are absolutely beautiful with that short silver hair this time of year!

Iowa does a great job!!!!! I have a dandy patterned for my daughter!!!! Here is her first and her last deer.

we had a great morning. second year in a row we had deer down in the first hour. I will do pics and story when my wife gets home tomorrow. I cant figure this computer crap out ( pictures ). Hope all the kids are having fun. Deer or no deer time in the outdoors is priceless.

we had a great morning. second year in a row we had deer down in the first hour. I will do pics and story when my wife gets home tomorrow. I cant figure this computer crap out ( pictures ). Hope all the kids are having fun. Deer or no deer time in the outdoors is priceless.

Nice. My dad got my younger son out and they didn't see much. Tonight should be better.

No succes for us this weekend. My younger son hasn't seen one yet. I hunted with him this morning.

Last night I hunter with my older boy. He is hding out for a buck because he has two does. We had one at 8 yards for 7 minutes.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back