Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Youth Deer Hunt

Looks like some kids are having great success this weekend. We got my boys deer cut up yesterday and now im packaging everything for the freezer.

Great job! Football games have our youth season down to just next Sunday, but we'll be giving it a go. Hope we just see one and if we notch a tag, all the better!

No luck yet. We only saw one small doe that was too far away all weekend. There is still a ton of corn around they haven't started combining any of it yet.

I saw some corn coming out yesterday on c57 over by finchford. I think another week and alot of guys will be picking corn. That will really get the deer moving.

They are getting after the soybeans here and a few, especially south of me are just starting on corn. Now if I just had some cropland within 1/2 mile of where we hunt...

I live very close to finchford. I drive on C57 everyday. I saw a small herd in the field where the corn was cut. There were several very small deer still with spots.

iaengineer, We must be closer than we think. I also live close to Finchford and drive that stretch of c57 everyday.

Still no luck. Saw a ton of deer just none in the right place. On the public ground we hunt they planted a lot of food plots and it has really grown up with brush since last year. It is tough to hunt now.

Lots of corn coming out around here.

We haven't had much luck. The 80 degree days need to stop. I think the deer are all moving early or late.

One day we had a doe at 8 yards that my older boy could have shot but he was holding out for a buck. He has two does under his belt. The younger boy is going to shoot anything but he hasn't had a chance yet.

My boys deer from opening weekend of youth season.
Very nice!! Congrats to your son!

My son wants to shoot a buck so bad he can hardly stand it. But, he likes shooting deer enough that he just shoots the first he sees. Someday it'll be a buck.

We saw so many. We watched a pair of 8 pointers almost every time we went out but we couldn't get a good shot. We need some cool weather and some more corn out.

It was the slowest youth season yet. To warm, bad wind and low deer movement.

Last weekend picked up a little. The great part about the Iowa youth tag is that it is still good for a few other seasons.

I told him not to be picky about size of antlers. If he wants to wait on big deer he can do that with his bow. Right now its about having fun and filling the freezer.

Back