Your state's tagging laws

In Virginia there's no carcass tag at all...unless carcass is left unattended then you must create a personal check card.
But then again, you don't even need a license (or tags) if you're hunting on your families land!...but you are required to still check an animal in.

Bear, Deer, and Turkey Tag Validation & Checking Requirements

Validation of Tags
•All hunters (unless license exempt) killing a bear, deer, elk, or turkey are required to validate an appropriate tag on their bear, deer, turkey license (big game license), bonus deer permit, or special permit (DCAP, DMAP, or DPOP) at the place of kill prior to moving the animal in any way. To validate a tag, hunters must completely remove the designated notch area from the appropriate license or permit tag.
•DO NOT detach license or permit tags to attach to the animal. Validation only requires the removal of the designated notch area from the appropriate license or permit tag.
•It is unlawful for any person to validate (notch) a tag from any license or special permit prior to the killing of an animal. A tag that is mistakenly validated (notched) prior to the killing of an animal must be voided immediately by the licensee or permittee by writing, in ink, the word "VOID" on the line provided on the tag.
•Hunters killing an elk are required to validate an appropriate deer tag.

how-to-validate.png

1.Remove the designated notch area from the appropriate tag on license prior to moving the animal in any way. Do not remove the tag from your license.
2.Check your animal by the appropriate method, whether by calling 1-866-468-4263, taking it to a check station or on the Internet.
3.Write the check card number or the confirmation number (from telephone or Internet checking) in ink on the license tag next to the notch.

Carcass Transferred or Unattended
•If the kill is reported using the telephone or Internet checking system by a hunter who validated a tag, no personal check card is required as long as the hunter is in possession of the carcass.
•If the carcass is transferred to the possession of another individual or left unattended, a personal check card or Internet check card must be created and kept with the carcass until the carcass is processed. If the carcass is left unattended, the personal check card or Internet check card must be securely attached to the carcass.

Personal Check Card

An animal reported using the telephone or Internet checking system will require the creation of a personal check card if:
1.The hunter is license exempt.
2.The hunter possesses a Veteran's Disabled Lifetime License.
3.The carcass is transferred to someone else.
4.The carcass is left unattended.

The personal check card may be written on any type of paper using a pen and must include the hunter's:
1.full name
2.date of kill and
3.the confirmation number.

License Exemptions

All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before hunting or trapping. Where exempt, the exemption means the individual is exempt from the basic hunting license, bear, deer, turkey license, archery license, muzzleloading license, and Virginia Migra tory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp. All seasons, bag limits, and checking requirements apply.
•Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
•Tenants, on the land they rent and occupy, are not required to have a license, but must have the written permission of the landowner. Persons who lease property and do not permanently reside there are not exempt from license requirements.
•Residents, 65 years of age and over, do not need a license to hunt or trap on private property in their county or city of residence.
•Resident hunters under the age of 12 are not required to have a hunting license or hunter education. Nonresident hunters under the age of 12 need a hunting license but do not need hunter education to purchase one. All hunters under the age of 12 may not hunt unless accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult.
•Residents under the age of 16 are not required to have a license to trap when accompanied by any person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Virginia trapping license.
•Any person who is not hunting, but is aiding a disabled person to hunt when such disabled person possesses a valid Virginia Disabled Resident Lifetime hunting license or a Virginia Resident Disabled Veteran Lifetime license is not required to have a license.
•Any Indian who "habitually" resides on an Indian reservation or a member of the Virginia recognized tribes who resides in the Commonwealth is not required to have a hunting or trapping license; however, such Indian must have on his person an identification card or paper signed by the chief of his tribe, a valid tribal identification card, written confirmation through a central tribal registry, or certification from a tribal office.
•Stockholders owning 50 percent or more of the stock of any domestic corporation owning land in Virginia, his or her spouse and children and minor grandchildren, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap and fish within the boundaries of lands and inland waters owned by the domestic corporation.

In Indiana we make our own tags!

3 years ago on my first deer hunt in Indiana I connected on a small buck. Because I didn't understand the tagging system I figured I would wait until I checked it in and eat the fine if the CO didn't sympathize with a new Indiana hunter. I actually had a State Trooper pull up as I was loading the deer into the trunk of my car and he told me I could write the tag on any piece of paper I had in my car. I didn't have any paper in my car so he told me to write the tag on a used napkin he saw on the floorboard. That blew my mind that a kill tag in Indiana could be a used napkin :eek:

3 years ago on my first deer hunt in Indiana I connected on a small buck. Because I didn't understand the tagging system I figured I would wait until I checked it in and eat the fine if the CO didn't sympathize with a new Indiana hunter. I actually had a State Trooper pull up as I was loading the deer into the trunk of my car and he told me I could write the tag on any piece of paper I had in my car. I didn't have any paper in my car so he told me to write the tag on a used napkin he saw on the floorboard. That blew my mind that a kill tag in Indiana could be a used napkin :eek:
Yep! Hasn't always been that way, but I like the convenience of it.

"In New Mexico you print out your own license at home. I always print out some extras in case I forget one and put one in my vehicle and one in my backpack. Doesn't seem like a good way to do things to me, but that's how they do it now. It saves them money by not having to print and mail the licenses."

That has to be the dumbest of anything on any of the state books when a person can print as many tags as they want to on their own computer after they draw for one animal! Talk about being something ripe for poaching!!!

Topgun: I hunted there this fall and that's the reg's. A nice person on this site and a conservation officer that I talked with suggested the same thing. This type of tagging supposedly saves lot's of money (or so I was told)

good luck to all
the dog

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/validation.asp
Summary of the VA regs:
1. Remove the designated notch area from the appropriate tag on license prior to moving the animal in any way. Do not remove the tag from your license.
2. Check your animal by the appropriate method, whether by calling 1-866-468-4263, taking it to a check station or on the Internet.
3. Write the check card number or the confirmation number (from telephone or Internet checking) in ink on the license tag next to the notch.

General Information
* All bear, deer, elk, and turkey must be checked by all hunters, including license exempt hunters, upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at the conclusion of legal hunting hours, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.
* It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any animal until it is checked. After the appropriate tag has been validated (notched), successful hunters are allowed to dismember the carcass to pack it out from the place of kill as long as they do not destroy the identity of the sex and all the parts of the carcass (excluding internal organs) are present when the animal is checked

Idaho- Page 101 of Big Game

Tagging and Transporting Game
<snip>
• Deer, elk and pronghorn: Attach to the largest portion of
the carcass.

Since it's very rare for me to transport an animal whole, I have always been worried about having only one tag and 4 or more bags of meat. I asked Idaho F&G about it a few years ago and got a vague answer. When I saw this topic posted, I submitted the question again, and got this response:

"If you are contacted by an Officer while packing meat off the mountain you are not in violation as long as the validated tag is attached to the largest portion of the meat no matter where that portion might be."

However, they indicated there could be "patience and cooperation with an officer" needed in such a situation, which worries me if said officer is having a bad day.

You can see the entire question and answer on F&G site at https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/conte...be-when-deer-or-elk-packed-out-multiple-trips

Last edited:
Was just thinking about this very thing. But, so far, have not run into an officer with an attitude.

Since it's very rare for me to transport an animal whole, I have always been worried about having only one tag and 4 or more bags of meat. I asked Idaho F&G about it a few years ago and got a vague answer. When I saw this topic posted, I submitted the question again, and got this response:

However, they indicated there could be "patience and cooperation with an officer" needed in such a situation, which worries me if said officer is having a bad day.

You can see the entire question and answer on F&G site at https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/conte...be-when-deer-or-elk-packed-out-multiple-trips

Washington's:

WAC 232-12-061

Tagging requirements.

It is unlawful for a person who kills a big game animal or turkey to fail to immediately cut out and completely remove from his or her tag the designated notches corresponding to the day and month of the kill for that species (unless the tagging requirement is specifically exempted by the fish and wildlife commission), and to fail to immediately attach his or her notched tag to the carcass of such animal or bird. That tag must remain attached to the carcass while it is being transported and must remain with the wildlife during the period of retention of the edible parts

Back