Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

You rarely if ever see whole dall sheep in a vehicle or atv!
If you gave me the gov tags for sheep and/or let me hunt them almost year round like some of the tags do... I could absolutely get a slam out whole in a truck.

I saw a dall this year that was legal in a draw unit where one could have dragged it to the truck, .7 miles, downhill, on grass.

I don't find it impressive at all...because I know what it takes, while you chose to say that "3. 75% of you probably couldn't deal with the physical nature of a sheep hunt.", that's simply not true. Its even less true when a person can fly a helicopter to the top and make it even less physical, less of time commitment, and just flat easier all the way around.

Making things easier, typically doesn't make them more impressive.

You insult "75%" of the hunters on this board, who given the same resources, would make killing 4 sheep look like a day at the beach.
It was a generalization that most people in their current physical state, would probably struggle. I can add a disclaimer in my signature if you'd like me to. "The above statement is my opinion"
If you gave me the gov tags for sheep and/or let me hunt them almost year round like some of the tags do... I could absolutely get a slam out whole in a truck.

I saw a dall this year that was legal in a draw unit where one could have dragged it to the truck, .7 miles, downhill, on grass.
You rarely if ever see whole dall sheep in a vehicle or atv!

It was a generalization that most people in their current physical state, would probably struggle. I can add a disclaimer in my signature if you'd like me to. "The above statement is my opinion"

I think the point people are making is that many of these guided hunts really aren't that hard. My guided super cub supported dall hunt was less strenuous than most all of my DIY public land elk hunts. I shot a ram opening day. Another guy in camp shot a 41" ram opening day basically from his tent which was real close to the cub landing strip. I doubt the $100k (with Brendan Burns from kuiu!) MT res bighorn hunt and the west tx desert BH hunts were all that strenuous.

I feel like people have to make them out to be more than they are because of the $ spent and so others think they're more 'core.

Last edited:
If you had a guided grand slam before cell phones is that core?
To me it is more impressive because the guys who did it before it was getting likes from other people online probably did it for more of personal and meaningful reason. That’s not just sheep hunting though. The same could be said of all hunting and probably fishing as well. Social media has changed it. I’m not going to use the word ruined because there is good that has come from social media and the internet and hunting in some ways such as Randy having this forum available for us and being a public voice and advocate for the sport but it has also become a 4 lane wide open highway for attention seekers who need validation and often misrepresents what hunting is because there are guys out there who are crazy good at hunting and say nothing online about it but the guys who kill one buck or bull can’t resist instagramming their kill site photo and giving away locations and becoming influencers without the real clout to back up their claims. Sorry for the long ramble.

To me it is more impressive because the guys who did it before it was getting likes from other people online probably did it for more of personal and meaningful reason. That’s not just sheep hunting though. The same could be said of all hunting and probably fishing as well. Social media has changed it. I’m not going to use the word ruined because there is good that has come from social media and the internet and hunting in some ways such as Randy having this forum available for us and being a public voice and advocate for the sport but it has also become a 4 lane wide open highway for attention seekers who need validation and often misrepresents what hunting is because there are guys out there who are crazy good at hunting and say nothing online about it but the guys who kill one buck or bull can’t resist instagramming their kill site photo and giving away locations and becoming influencers without the real clout to back up their claims. Sorry for the long ramble.
Sheep hunters SMH ... and off course since he got it will a bow he had to have that chiseled into the rock as well

1674502139525.png

If a flat lander completes a nasgs is it more impressive or core than someone who grew up in a mountain state with western privilege?
Personally, I say yes.
I just don’t find it that impressive when these 2nd and 3rd generation mountain dwellers get it done on public land.
It’s like me hunting the edge of a corn field.

Why is about a poster or his parents? Why isn't he or anyone not allowed to have an opinion? Buzz makes valid points but money has, does, and will continue to buy opportunity, celebrity, and notoriety. If you don't like the hunt or the video don't watch it or read the story.
Jeez, I'm not saying he's a bad guy one way or another and I never suggested his opinion isn't allowed, just trying to understand his motivations.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a single hunter who went on a guided hunt say that it was as hard as the non-guided version, or that it was the same accomplishment as DIY. Yet there is always a group of folks ready to pounce on any opportunity to make sure everybody knows that it isn't. Funny how that works

tool.jpg

I think that's the problem with you and Shrap...everything is a generalization and you forget your audience before you type.

I think that's the problem with you and Shrap...everything is a generalization and you forget your audience before you type.
Buzz, believe it or not, none of my posts I've written apart from the ones on this thread have been directed towards you. Your comments made on unvaccinated people dying really snuffed out any respect I might have had for you. There's plenty of people on this site who go on guided hunts. And for someone like you to discredit a 13 year old is ridiculous. I'm sure you're 5x her age. Go back and read the first post I posted on this thread.
Jeez, I'm not saying he's a bad guy one way or another and I never suggested his opinion isn't allowed, just trying to understand his motivations.
My motivations? I just defended a 13 year old and buzz's response was that my comment was dumb. Then he went on to say that I think a guided hunt is the same in difficulty as a DIY hunt - believe it or not, I never said that. Buzz and his 15k posts of nothingness can apparently put words in my mouth and his followers will file in right behind him instead of reading what I'm writing.

The 3 people I know who have grand slams have them from before the internet was popular. Each one of them did it for the adventure. I like to think the dad in this story enjoyed the adventure, and I'm assuming his daughter enjoyed the adventure also. I don't know the guy, but is he an influencer? Does he make videos or have a following? To my knowledge the guy in the article is just a dude who likes sheep hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back