Young hunters first turkey

hardscrabble

Two weeks ago WSWAT and I took my son on his first hunt. Easton tagged along with us last year and he had a blast. So this year it was time for him to get a tag of his own. In ND there is no minimum age to hunt turkeys as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Also first time youth applicants are guaranteed a tag. It should be a fun challenge to get a 7 year old a bird.

Brent already had a blind set up for us just off the roost for Friday morning. Before daybreak we see at least 12 birds up in the trees. After they flew down it did not take long for Brent to make a hen mad and in she came. Right on her heals was a young tom.

This is when it became really fun and interesting. Easton was really excited and had a hard time getting steady with this bird at 10 yards. Finally I got him steady on the shooting sticks and... Boom!

A trap load out of my Winchester youth 20 gauge directly in the head did the trick. This turkey did not even flop around or quiver. Easton was so pumped and dad was very proud!

image.jpg

With an entire day left of the weekend we went out for some shed hunting. No better way to shed hunt but a land locked boat in spot.

Easton's first shed.

image.jpg

One enlighten kid on the boat ride home. This was WAY too much fun.

Big thanks to Brent for another awesome hunting trip and my sons first punched tag!

image.jpg

This smile says it all!

I love it! Love the "game face" with the turkey, and the big grin with the shed! Nothing like spending quality time together!
Congratulations Easton on a fine bird!

Poor kid, now he will never be able to save money because he is addicted to hunting. LOL

Congratulations Easton and Dad!

Congrats to both of you!! Love to see so many people taking the kids out. Keep it up :D

Awesome hunt!

I can recall my 1st hunts with Dad and Grandpa. They last forever.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back