Yeti GOBOX Collection

You had me at "Accommodation to use crossbow"

Your biggest problem is your tone and the sense of entitlement you have on this subject. You don't approach this from a stance of "I can't draw a bow and man it would be nice if the citizens of Montana (for whom these animals are held in trust by the state for) would amend their rules so I can use a crossbow". Your attitude is that you can't draw a bow so "I should be able you use a crossbow if I damn well want to".
It's not an entitlement thing, it's a LEGAL thing. There's this law called the Americans with Disabilities Act, maybe you've heard of it?? "The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications." -- https://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

It's not an entitlement thing, it's a LEGAL thing. There's this law called the Americans with Disabilities Act, maybe you've heard of it?? "The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications." -- https://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm
That law doesn't apply to a lot of things, e.g. wilderness. It clearly doesn't apply to Crossbows or they'd already be legal everywhere.

The last thing I want to do is keep this thread going but I don't think the ADA applies to hunting and fishing. FWP already has accommodations to allow you to alter your bow as well as hunt from a vehicle. Contact FWP and I'm sure they'll tell you what you can do to modify a bow to work for you.

As they say, "When you find yourself in the bottom of a hole with no way out ... it's time to quit digging!" Put the thread to bed.

I appreciate your responses and I'm sympathetic to your particular situation. My experience is archery gear has more limitations and requires more skill than crossbows. I think we can all agree it is easier to pull a trigger than a bow string.
I don't disagree with you there. It's all level of ease, right? A recurve is much harder to hunt with than a compound bow, but it was still allowed. This is way before my time, but I'm sure there were a lot of recurve folks fighting against the use of compounds with a lot of the same arguments folks have today against crossbows.
I have not seen a list of reasons including the above that changes my position, which I base on experience.
There's a multitude of reasons that could be added to the above list. The glaring omission above is movement. Whether elk or turkey, the movement required to draw a bow on an animal responding to a call is a major challenge crossbow hunters do not need to contend with.
I'm not sure I fully agree with you. A crossbow hunter still needs to bring up the crossbow. Additionally, movement isn't nearly as big of an issue as some of the other things I brought up. Hunters can get away with a lot of movement before an elk will spook. I'm not getting this as much from experience as I am from experts like Corey Jacobsen & Chris Roe (and I'm sure others) who have talked about this extensively.
There's a lot of talk about effective range. If range and efficiency of weapon are the criteria why not open the season to pistols, muzzleloaders, or any short range firearm?
It's all set by how one defines "archery," right? The items you listed are percussive weapons, rather than using an arrows as a trad bow, compound bow, or crossbow does.

I don't disagree with you there. It's all level of ease, right? A recurve is much harder to hunt with than a compound bow, but it was still allowed. This is way before my time, but I'm sure there were a lot of recurve folks fighting against the use of compounds with a lot of the same arguments folks have today against crossbows.

I'm not sure I fully agree with you. A crossbow hunter still needs to bring up the crossbow. Additionally, movement isn't nearly as big of an issue as some of the other things I brought up. Hunters can get away with a lot of movement before an elk will spook. I'm not getting this as much from experience as I am from experts like Corey Jacobsen & Chris Roe (and I'm sure others) who have talked about this extensively.

It's all set by how one defines "archery," right? The items you listed are percussive weapons, rather than using an arrows as a trad bow, compound bow, or crossbow does.
We can agree to disagree. I appreciate the discussion, but I believe if special seasons restricting equipment are going to continue, a line needs to be drawn somewhere. I believe keeping archery restricted to drawn and not set bows with a trigger is a fair spot.
History books explain how the invention of crossbows dramatically changed warfare, removing the necessity of skilled archers. As I stated previously crossbows are more in line with other short-range weapons like muzzle loaders, shotguns, or pistols.

As for those of you who don't think the ADA applies to hunting or fishing:

"Program access means that a person with a disability has an equal opportunity to participate and
gain the same benefits from a program or service as anyone else. This is true whether the program
or service is eating in a restaurant, visiting an historic site, or recreating outdoors. Perhaps the
easiest way to think of program access is to think of the services that an authorized outfitter/guide
provides (for example, fishing or hunting instruction, transporting participants, setting up camp,
or guiding participants to the best opportunity areas) and ensure that those services are available
to all qualified participants. Programs are not required to guarantee successful participation, but
instead to offer equal opportunity for participation."

No disrespect intended, but once again the seemingly entitled attitude confusing a privilege with a right.

Do fight for what are your legitimate rights. Be grateful and respectful of your privileges.
I agree hunting itself is a privilege. However, my equal opportunity for access to that privilege is a right under the ADA (see previous post w/ quote from the USDA).

LET IT GO

reasonable accommodation is allowing modifications to existing bows and if you need to you can hunt from a vehicle. Since you cannot draw a bow there are other means to hunt in nearly 6 months of the year via general season utilizing rifle, crossbow, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, and probably others. That is the accommodation...you don't like so tough shit life sucks

You're quoting the Forest Service which DOES NOT control hunting rules. Also this pamplet says "Programs are not required to guarantee successful participation"

Last edited:
So what's the over/under on crossbows becoming legal in Montana during archery season?

I'm thinking in the 5-10 year range. Similar to Wyoming allowing medical cannabis, it will happen eventually at the rate we are going. By 2030 ereybody in MT and WY be shooting crossbows and smoking weed with a medical exemption of course. MT will require one for the crossbow but not weed. WY will require one for weed but not the crossbow. lol

The rules from each are quite interesting to read. Some interesting ones in there.

So what's the over/under on crossbows becoming legal in Montana during archery season?

I'm thinking in the 5-10 year range. Similar to Wyoming allowing medical cannabis, it will happen eventually at the rate we are going. By 2030 ereybody in MT and WY be shooting crossbows and smoking weed with a medical exemption of course. MT will require one for the crossbow but not weed. WY will require one for weed but not the crossbow. lol

The rules from each are quite interesting to read. Some interesting ones in there.

weed is legal in MT without a exemption

OH damn the weed money is going toward access to public lands...we better make sure there's an accommodation to it all so we can fling bolts...hell lets go for an airbow too.

weed is legal in MT without a exemption

OH damn the weed money is going toward access to public lands...we better make sure there's an accommodation to it all so we can fling bolts...hell lets go for an airbow too.
Yea I know, I have family in Bozeman. That's why I said MT will require one for the crossbow, but not weed. That's the funny part as they will likely be opposite. Kinda like Wyoming and Colorado when it comes to weed and firecrackers, oppsite.

So how long do you think until crossbows are allowed during archery season in MT with a medical exemption?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back