Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

YNP Fishing?

smw110136

Planning on swinging through Yellowstone at the end of July and staying at least one day while in that part of the country. I was trying to find some good info on where to fish (fly or casting) while in the park? Not taking a boat or kayak. Planning on wading in or bank fishing. Thanks!

Was there last week. Although I didn't fish, I was told the best fishing was on the Madison River in from the West Yellowstone entrance.

It can be hit or miss but I've done ok on the Gibbon with terrestrials around that time as well as the Firehole by matching the hatch. If you don't mind a little hike, grizzly lake was pretty good though I only fished the feeder stream. I've heard the out flow is better. Slough creek is on of the more popular ones and can be ok, especially if you hike in a few miles. The Lamar and Yellowstone rivers are supposed to be good but both have been too high every time I've been.

The west side of the park can get a little warm that time of year. The Gibbon and Firehole (especially the lower reaches) tend to shut down by early July. I don't fish the Madison much, but I'm guessing there are places that would offer a better experience. I'd suggest the northeast corner. The Yellowstone and most of its tributaries should be fishing great. There are plenty of places with easy access or you can hike in to get away from crowds if you'd like.

Tons of lakes off the Beartooth Pass that offer great fishing and solitude too.

P.S. - Boats aren't allowed on most YNP waters, so it would probably be a waste of time to bring one even if you wanted to fish from one (unless you wanted to fish Yellowstone Lake).

I was also going to mention the Madison drainage in the park will be too warm unless you want little fish in the headwaters. I'm not sure what you like, but that isn't a bad time of year to throw attractor patterns in the tributaries. Park's fly shop has the best reports for the NE corner of the park. http://www.parksflyshop.com/fishingreport.html. The owner has a good book that tells what type of fish are in each steam.

Don't be afraid to walk away from the roads or the Orvis hatch fishing Soda Butte. Bring bear spray.

I have fished a few rivers in YNP but i enjoyed fishing Slough Creek the most, as already said, a short 45 minute walk, or get away from the crowds a 2 hour hike, it's worth it.
Cheers
Richard

In late July you need to be in the Northeast Corner. Slough Creek, Lamar River, and Yellowstone River. If you want a good (easy) but longer day hike 6 miles into the second meadow of Slough Creek. Tons of cutthroat to throw at and they eat tons of different dry flies. Also, the Lamar is good but gets traffic (much closer to roads). Also, the Yellowstone is fun just much bigger but the same good action can be had on cutthroats. I second the Parks Fly Shop recommendation. Stop in buy some flies and hike a little....Bear Spray and a hiking companion is a must. If you are by yourself, get to the Slough Creek Trailhead early and wait for a group you can walk in with. I've met some really nice people and had some good time fishing with some folks I've just met at the trailhead.....

Also, Slough Creek Campground and Pebble Creek are both good campgrounds in that area.

Please, also go visit the Beartooth Highway and hike into a lake or two----it is awesome up there!

Hiking up the Yellowstone from Gardiner is not a bad option either.

Just take your bear spray. I talked to an old guy from Cody who was fishing up there somewhere and he and his son "bearly" made it into their truck before the bear that was chasing them bounced off the side of the truck. He said his truck still has a dent and it was the most terrified that he had ever been-period.

For less crowds try the galatin river or grayling creek. For easier but smaller brookies try indian creek or upper gardiner river. For nicer fish but more pressure try the upper gibbon or slough creek. I would also throw in soda butte and pebble creek. All of these should be good for casting or fly. I would highly recconend a fly rod but spin/cast can work. I like jigs and floating grasshopper imitations. Also a wooly booger with a clear plastic float works good. For flies a coachman trude, wooly booger, and prince nymph would be a good place to start. I have always stayed away from the madison and firehole because I am an average fly fisher and don't like embaracing myself.

Deffinately get Mr Parks book and always have bear spray with you. If I had one day to fish it would be the upper gibbon near the norris campground below virginia cascades. It is grassy meadows with cut banks. I have caught brooks and browns by hiding in the grass and casting at the head of the pool. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great info. I wasn't sure what type of response I would get when asking about good fishing holes. I love HuntTalk

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back