Yeti & NRA

Most teachers are well intentioned, but this is still a real problem. Our oldest daughter took a high school environmental science class at her (public) high school. A major part of their grade was to weekly find a news article about human impact on the environment and write a 2 page essay on it. The syllabus actually stated that only articles identifying harm were to be given credit and that zero points would be given for any article that suggested human action would have a positive environmental impact. When I asked him about this, he said it was not about choosing sides, it was about "credible science" and in his "learned" view as a "trained scientist" there was no credible evidence that humanity could do anything positive to the environment and that our very existence was a harmful. Given tenure it wasn't worth fighting, but it was a great learning experience for my daughter and prepared her well for the experience of leftist ideology so prevalent at modern universities.

Consider encouraging your daughter to go to Montana Tech in Butte when its college time. No liberal bullshit, just rigorous coursework in real fields that result in real jobs for nearly 100% of graduates.

Consider encouraging your daughter to go to Montana Tech in Butte when its college time. No liberal bullshit, just rigorous coursework in real fields that result in real jobs for nearly 100% of graduates.

This was a few years back. She ended up going to U of Minn and is now a charge nurse at the local VA Hospital - so all is well.

I asked this question on another forum and haven't received much of an answer. Can someone explain to me why this is such a big deal? All they did was change their discount program; nothing more, nothing less. I'm struggling to see the connection between that move and their stance on the NRA or the second amendment.

Ya this. I think most don't want to understand and aren't willing to take the time to try. They just buy off on the nonsense the NRA spews.

I really enjoy the comments from the guys who openly claim they never owned a Yeti because of price but now- by God -they will never support Yeti. How do you quit supporting a business you never supported?

I think there is a large segment of the population that is angry middle to old age white guys that enjoy being pissed about something.

sound like you are the chamber of commerce

Ya this. I think most don't want to understand and aren't willing to take the time to try. They just buy off on the nonsense the NRA spews.

I really enjoy the comments from the guys who openly claim they never owned a Yeti because of price but now- by God -they will never support Yeti. How do you quit supporting a business you never supported?

I think there is a large segment of the population that is angry middle to old age white guys that enjoy being pissed about something.

You sound just like a sound bite from MSNBC

So how many people have changed their minds based upon this thread?

Hunt Talk threads have changed my mind on things in the past, or have enhanced my understanding of things, and certainly have sometimes reinforced my preconceived notions. And that is ok. I think the same can be said for folks that don't comment.

For example: 7 pages of back and forth, plenty of posts talking about the second amendment and its importance, people(such as myself) signaling their distaste for the NRA, but as it concerns the OP, I have yet to see a cogent defense of the NRA's small-minded outburst. My understanding is enhanced.

The experience of leftist ideology so prevalent at modern universities.

Yeesh...go easy on the fox news

Certainly, the majority of the professors I know vote blue... but that's just because we only have two parties. Most of the ones I know are moderates and as long as a student isn't trying to pick a fight with them in the middle of a lecture are perfectly willing to calmly discuss and issue and weigh the evidence on both sides.

My cousin is a prof at UC Davis and wears sandals to class, I bet if we met up for beers and by the end you would be inviting him fishing.

For the record that teacher at your daughters school would have yanked my chain too, I get what he is trying to do but that response missed the mark, certainly it's valid to have an assignment about negative human impacts, but drop the line about being a scientist, your are teaching HS so you are absolutely not a "trained scientist". He should have just said "while there are certainly things humans have done to improve water quality, habitat, and promote the recovery of species that is not the specific focus of this particular assignment and if it's really important to your daughter to look at positive impacts she can present an extra news article to the class at the end of the semester for extra credit."

Yeesh...go easy on the fox news

Certainly, the majority of the professors I know vote blue... but that's just because we only have two parties. Most of the ones I know are moderates and as long as a student isn't trying to pick a fight with them in the middle of a lecture are perfectly willing to calmly discuss and issue and weigh the evidence on both sides.

My cousin is a prof at UC Davis and wears sandals to class, I bet if we met up for beers and by the end you would be inviting him fishing.

For the record that teacher at your daughters school would have yanked my chain too, I get what he is trying to do but that response missed the mark, certainly it's valid to have an assignment about negative human impacts, but drop the line about being a scientist, your are teaching HS so you are absolutely not a "trained scientist". He should have just said "while there are certainly things humans have done to improve water quality, habitat, and promote the recovery of species that is not the specific focus of this particular assignment and if it's really important to your daughter to look at positive impacts she can present an extra news article to the class at the end of the semester for extra credit."

I don't watch fox news and am generally pretty middle of the road, but after earning 3 post graduate degrees at 3 different universities my experience is that while many faculty are moderate or at least open minded and fair liberals, there is a heavy cloud cast by the many leftists that wield very loud voices on most campuses. Even some self professed liberal faculty are starting to raise concerns about the lack of balance and fairness in the modern class room. I don't want my kids to be indoctrinated by the left, the right, our church or my wife and I's parenting. We want our kids to be exposed to a wide range of views and be able to find their own path without be labelled as nazi's or commies. This ability to respectfully disagree is lacking in today's world and ironically more so on college campuses - a place that used to place civil discourse above all else -- it is a real loss for a free society and it is something I hope we get back sooner than later.

YETI's competitors are tripping over each other to fill the void. Timing and perception coalescing.

I asked this question on another forum and haven't received much of an answer. Can someone explain to me why this is such a big deal? All they did was change their discount program; nothing more, nothing less. I'm struggling to see the connection between that move and their stance on the NRA or the second amendment.

There are discounts between the companies and the NRA per Trademark License Agreements.

The company agrees to endorse and enable NRA the use of the company's logo. In exchange, NRA promotes those products to the members.

The alternative discount mentioned is a universal open corporate program. Example: XYZ Corporation wants to reward employees with YETI products. They have a channel via YETI's, "Corporate Discount Program" to purchase the product's. This process removes any Trademark License Agreement's and endorsement of companies and organizations that may place YETI's association in the political, media bias charged hot seat, such as... Well, you get the idea.

YETI withdrew from the Trademark License Agreement with the NRA. That's it in a nutshell.

Add the timing with Delta, Enterprise, etc who also severed their TLA's and the shnitzstorm began.
Some believe the timing was pure coincidence. Others believe it was YETI's attempt to distance themselves from the NRA.

Either way, piss poor timing for such to take place.

Makes for some fun YouTube videos and a vacuum for RTIC, PELICAN, etc... There are others eagerly looking to fill the void.

Last edited:
Sorry for the Fox quip :W:, but "leftest ideology" is a bit of a loaded one to toss out.

I think we actually see eye to eye on this one, although in my opinion the blame is with the current group of students rather than current faculty, my alma mater is a text book case of this...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/...-the-angry-mob-that-gave-me-a-concussion.html

Fair enough - it can be tossed around too loosely indeed, but in the context of the specific point I was raising I do believe it is apt.

Most teachers are well intentioned, but this is still a real problem. Our oldest daughter took a high school environmental science class at her (public) high school. A major part of their grade was to weekly find a news article about human impact on the environment and write a 2 page essay on it. The syllabus actually stated that only articles identifying harm were to be given credit and that zero points would be given for any article that suggested human action would have a positive environmental impact. When I asked him about this, he said it was not about choosing sides, it was about "credible science" and in his "learned" view as a "trained scientist" there was no credible evidence that humanity could do anything positive to the environment and that our very existence was a harmful. Given tenure it wasn't worth fighting, but it was a great learning experience for my daughter and prepared her well for the experience of leftist ideology so prevalent at modern universities.

That teacher just sounds kind of silly. I think there are a few teachers out there who think it’s their job to know everything, or at least act like they do. It’s powerful to tell a kid “I don’t know,” and then figure it out together. Folks who have to call themselves “learned” seem to have some real insecurity, and I could see how that would produce those sorts of one-sided perspectives.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back