Yellowstone herd numbers out

That said, I will have to say that was a pretty good year for me hunting wise, besides the moose I got these:

buzzbear.JPG

dall5.JPG

95whitetail.JPG

buzzwtdoe2.JPG

muledeerdoe.JPG

buzzelk19.JPG

I too took one in the Bighole:eek:

I had the good tag but showed up October 1st. Big mistake. Never saw the 2 big ones i had seen in August while hunting for 2 weeks. I think I walked every single drainage there with my bow. Pulled out the gun on the last day and shot this one.

Too much fun though. My brother and I spent a whole month that year jobless hunting bums.

ScannedImage-61.jpg

ScannedImage-62.jpg

A couple I saw in August of that year.
ScannedImage-58.jpg

ScannedImage-59.jpg

I drew North Big Hole, in 93. I saw plenty, and screwed up on a monster. That's about the same time the Native Brothers from the north started working them over. My kid drew in 08 we found 1 bull, and he was packing a 180 slug from an earlier encounter with someone. My kid shot the bull on the 3rd day of season, and the bullet had been there for quit a while. Like a month, I'd guess.

picture.php

The fact remains that the moose are on a downward trend. They have cut the tags way back. Would I burn a tag for there. Yes, but I would rather have one for up North.

I drew North Big Hole, in 93. I saw plenty, and screwed up on a monster. That's about the same time the Native Brothers from the north started working them over. My kid drew in 08 we found 1 bull, and he was packing a 180 slug from an earlier encounter with someone. My kid shot the bull on the 3rd day of season, and the bullet had been there for quit a while. Like a month, I'd guess.

picture.php

The fact remains that the moose are on a downward trend. They have cut the tags way back. Would I burn a tag for there. Yes, but I would rather have one for up North.

Has anyone seen or have a pic of the bull killed by a guy from CO in Lincoln County this year? Heard it was unreal.

I know of 2 Booners killed up north, one archery, one rifle. Sorry no pics.

Probably the same. Now that Big Fin has breathed some respectability into this website, I'm not sure we can post them. Although Moosie does still post his loincloth photos...:confused:;)

Were they ones of him jumping off snow banks in his birthday suit?:D He's mellowed out since those college days and I don't think he does much of that non sense anymore.

Thanks for the link to the study. Of interest to me was the calf mortality study. It looks like bears are probably killing the same number of calves. The population of calves is less so the percentage is higher. Do you know of any study's on adult cow mortality ? What is an average age of cows in this herd ? If only 15 calves per 100 cows is the current survival rate and half of them are bull calves then 7.5 calves are being added to reproductive part of the herd.

I am not aware of any adult cow mortality studys but I'm sure there is information on that somewhere. I would assume the average cow age in this herd is quite high compared to other herds with reproduction rates so low. I though it was also interesting that the elk had moved their wintering ground in the last 20 years. Between black/griz bears, cats, and 3 healthy packs of wolves that area gets hit about as hard as any in the country with predators. The stress, and lack of good food caused by drought causes the cows to reproduce every other year at best. That seems to be the conclusion of the study

Did someone say Tyler J? If the pictures are of a dude wearing nothing but sunglasses and jumping off something it is likely the Tyler J that I know.

Someone killed a 55/180 monster in my unit the this year.
Unfortunately half the internet knows what unit it was killed in as well :mad:

Here is an average moose I shot in the Big Hole 2007 late season. I saw around 75 moose with about 20 bulls. This was the biggest one I could find. The plan was to kill one with a bow, I passed on some small ones but they were very spooky. You could not get even 200 yards most of the time before they would blow out of the country. I suspect that was due to wolves. I had to work for this one and it made for a memorable hunt. I jumped him in the morning and tracked it around a swamp all day until finally catching up to it and had to take a full out running shot at 175 yards through the willows. Talking to the biologist they thought there should have been 150 moose in that unit. They were already behind the ball on the downfall of moose numbers.

Attachments

• moose 1 (872 x 708).jpg
    moose 1 (872 x 708).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 93
  • moose 2 (836 x 538).jpg
    moose 2 (836 x 538).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 93
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member