ye ole' "help me with my very first elk hunt" post

bigdonniebrasco

I am in the process of doing my own research, but I value your collective experiences more than my newbie speculation.

For several years I planned on going on my first elk hunt as my dream hunt. I bought points in WY for 4 years, then a messy divorce stomped out those dreams. (just being dramatic for effect, not genuinely fishing for sympathy)
My final child support payment is 02/2021 so I would like to resurrect my quest to hunt elk while I can still get around (54 now).

1. I'm sure it's too late for me to build points anywhere else.
2. I bowhunt and rifle hunt so I am open to either.
3. Zero physical limitations. (so far)

I'm just looking for any input regarding units that you think I should consider, and if 4 points is enough to start applying or if I should wait. As much as my dream is to obviously shoot a bull, if that's unrealistic, I would be open to a cow hunt.

Thank you for ANY input at all!!

Don

You are for sure on track to get a general tag, points-wise...possibly some low point units (state website or gohunt can help here). A general tag will allow you to hunt a significant amount of the state, and if you buy an archery stamp, you can hunt in September for bow and if you fail, go back for rifle later.

You might consider starting to point up in Montana as well...I predict once you hunt elk in WY, you will want to go again, and given a few years, you’ll be set.;)

You are for sure on track to get a general tag, points-wise...possibly some low point units (state website or gohunt can help here). A general tag will allow you to hunt a significant amount of the state, and if you buy an archery stamp, you can hunt in September for bow and if you fail, go back for rifle later.

You might consider starting to point up in Montana as well...I predict once you hunt elk in WY, you will want to go again, and given a few years, you’ll be set.;)

Thanks so much!
I am happy for ANY input!! I'm just not sure I can take the time off work, or spend the cash to make repeated trips in one year. I do have a friend in MT, so I will take your advice on applying there! You think it's easier to get a tag there?
Thanks again.

Welcome back to HuntTalk bigdonniebrasco. Don't forget to put in for the longshot Ft Riley elk tags that are open to only residents, lifetime license holders and soldiers assigned to the post. I now have 8 bonus points and counting with my latest email from KDWPT. (But I did get an east zone any deer/any sex firearms tag, so it could be a mule deer kinda deer hunt for me this year).

Points purchase closed mid June for antelope and elk. (Archery antelope is OTC in Kansas, as a reminder. I remember your Wyoming antelope threads. Epic!).

You think it's easier to get a tag there?
I don’t think it’s so much about easier/harder. It’s really about staggering your point accumulation across states since you’ll be hitting the reset button in WY after you draw there. If you’re already building points in some other state, then you could be looking at a decent chance of draw there in 1-2 years vs. having to wait 3-4 to draw WY again.

Welcome back to HuntTalk bigdonniebrasco. Don't forget to put in for the longshot Ft Riley elk tags that are open to only residents, lifetime license holders and soldiers assigned to the post. I now have 8 bonus points and counting with my latest email from KDWPT. (But I did get an east zone any deer/any sex firearms tag, so it could be a mule deer kinda deer hunt for me this year).

Points purchase closed mid June for antelope and elk. (Archery antelope is OTC in Kansas, as a reminder. I remember your Wyoming antelope threads. Epic!).

Thank you my friend! It's been an eventful 18 mos!! 20 years of marriage, down the drain! I didn't even hunt last year.
I'll start putting in for the KS hunts, and do what I can to get out West, I need to get back to doing something I love.

Thanks again!

Look into some good reduced price cow hunts for your first elk trip to Wyoming. Some decent Type 6 tags in good access areas.
Come get a cow and learn a general area for your bull hunt the next year or so.
Remember you also have a chance at a random draw tag in a great area.

Your situation isn't much different than most guys after they draw a tag and reset points. You should be able to work out a decent rotation between WY, CO otc and one other draw state. Lots of good hunting ahead.

Welcome back Donnie...I too remember your antelope hunt and the appreciation you gave to those who helped. Best of luck to you on similar results with your elk hunt!

You can't go wrong with a General tag, I've had some great experiences on general tags over the years. The difference between the LQ units available with your point total and a general unit would be hard to differentiate IMO with public access considered. I've never been privileged enough to draw a (first choice) LQ unit as a resident nor NR in Wyo so I've only ever hunted general for bull. So take my advice with a grain of salt as there's probably some hidden gem LQ I don't know about. Cow/calf are fun tags too for half the price, so why wait?!

Last edited:
You can also look at NM. If are not familiar, you get more than one choice and if your application is drawn they look at all choices. I think only 1 in 16 tags go to NR who hunt without an outfitter but is possible to put in a couple of really amazing hunt choices as #1 and #2 then a more likely choice as #3. No point system so your odds are not impacted by being out of the game a bit.

If you are considering Montana at all
You think it's easier to get a tag there?
Thanks again.

If you are talking about Montana it's not that hard to get a general tag but seems to be growing harder than it used to be. I got a General Elk combo tag this year with one preference point. This was my first year attempting to buy a tag in Montana. Montana has a limited number of Nonresident tags but they are starting to sell out. I understand that some who applied this year didn't draw. I'm thinking though with 2 preference points a person should be a shoe in to get a tag. If you can still buy one this year get one and get another next year when you apply for your tag if you are interested in a Montana Elk tag.

I am by no means am elk expert but I have no problem sharing what I have learned about the area I have hunted elk in Wyoming.
I drew with 4-points.
But, point creep and demand on an area will vary. You may want to look into it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back