Xmas a few weeks deferred

The weather has been hideous and I need to develop a new handload for the gun it is on (and I try to develop handloads in moderate temps) so hasn't left the safe. But soon, I tell myself, as they predict more snow tonight :( I will post a review after I get a chance to do a box test and a series of different distances. I will say I like the smooth lines/low profile while still including elevation/windage/parallax dials + cant indicator. I also checked the glass off my deck into the woods at the edge of dawn one morning and was pleased with what I saw. If the sucker tracks, it is a keeper. Never shot (or held) a Z5 so can't offer comparison.

Have you shot with this yet? Any review? I'm contemplating this scope vs a swaro Z5

Not enough time on rifle to give proper full review, but here is a first look: I have used at range (100y & 200y) for load development and then basic box test. On the plus-side, the glass is super clear/sharp, the tracking is spot on, I like the integrated cant detector (not needed at 200y, but will be nice to have at 400y), I like the size/weight/form factor when mounted, really like the fire dot on low power for old eyes even in good lighting and I really like the locking dials. On the con-side: I find the paint used on the scope to mar easier than I would have expected. Not really scratches to the metal, but gray streaks than can be rubbed off with a little effort - I am not that anal with cosmetic issues, but surprised give the price point. On the personal preference side, I don't think I will use the included aluminum flip scope covers - while they are really high quality and work nice, for me with my "eye relief/eye box" I find that flip scope caps (cheap and expensive) create a thicker visual black ring around the scope view that I find distracting - not a criticism of these covers which are wonderfully engineered, but rather personal preference. I would definitely buy again - just waiting for another great deal from Schmalts and I will have a second one.

Back