• Thank you for creating an account on Hunt Talk! We require that all new users contribute at least 10 posts before gaining the ability to start new threads. Once you have made 10 posts, you will be able to start new threads in the forum.

Xmas a few weeks deferred

VikingsGuy

The weather has been hideous and I need to develop a new handload for the gun it is on (and I try to develop handloads in moderate temps) so hasn't left the safe. But soon, I tell myself, as they predict more snow tonight :( I will post a review after I get a chance to do a box test and a series of different distances. I will say I like the smooth lines/low profile while still including elevation/windage/parallax dials + cant indicator. I also checked the glass off my deck into the woods at the edge of dawn one morning and was pleased with what I saw. If the sucker tracks, it is a keeper. Never shot (or held) a Z5 so can't offer comparison.

VikingsGuy

Have you shot with this yet? Any review? I'm contemplating this scope vs a swaro Z5
Not enough time on rifle to give proper full review, but here is a first look: I have used at range (100y & 200y) for load development and then basic box test. On the plus-side, the glass is super clear/sharp, the tracking is spot on, I like the integrated cant detector (not needed at 200y, but will be nice to have at 400y), I like the size/weight/form factor when mounted, really like the fire dot on low power for old eyes even in good lighting and I really like the locking dials. On the con-side: I find the paint used on the scope to mar easier than I would have expected. Not really scratches to the metal, but gray streaks than can be rubbed off with a little effort - I am not that anal with cosmetic issues, but surprised give the price point. On the personal preference side, I don't think I will use the included aluminum flip scope covers - while they are really high quality and work nice, for me with my "eye relief/eye box" I find that flip scope caps (cheap and expensive) create a thicker visual black ring around the scope view that I find distracting - not a criticism of these covers which are wonderfully engineered, but rather personal preference. I would definitely buy again - just waiting for another great deal from Schmalts and I will have a second one.