Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming, Who lives there in this Forum?

Inkedmedic8404

Thinking about packing the family up and moving out of CA and either to ID or WY. Tired of the crime and crowding that is increasing every year where I live. There is a career opportunity in Jackson WY (won't be living there) that I have come across and have applied for. Does anyone have any pros or cons for the state and the city itself? Its one thing to get it off a generic website and another to speak to people who have actually lived there.

I want to be able to give my son the childhood I never had but wanted. What him to explore the mountains, hunt, fish and be able to go out of our front door and into adventure. I want to be able to get a bigger house than half of what I paid for my house here in CA and of course, not have my neighbor living right on top of me.

Any input would be great and appreciated.

Wyoming is a great place to live. Jackson is a fun place to visit but not sure I would want to live there. But you don't have to go far from Jackson to get many of the great things about Wyoming without the downside of a town like Jackson. As far a outdoor recreation. I cant think of a better place to be than Wyoming. You will get great deer and elk tags every year. Good antelope tags every year if you are willing to travel a bit. Tons of public land! You get to live in a State that has wolves and grizzly's, which to me just make it a better place to explore.

Living in Wyo does have its cons. Winters are long. Travel in winter can be an issue. Low taxes means not as many services as you are most likely used to. Someone wrote the other day that Helena MT had a snow removal policy of "F it, let it turn to ice". Much of Wyo has adopted this same policy. The economy is based largely off of oil, gas and coal. Not a one of them is doing that well for the last several years. It shows itself quickly. School funding is an issue. High school dropout rate is 20%. You have to be prepared to be deeply involved in your kids education if you want them to succeed. If you want to drop them off at school and assume the rest will take care if itself you will be disappointed. Wyoming does have an excellent post secondary education scholarship program, Hathaway Scholarship. It can be a huge help in paying for college if your child is successful in high school.

I have lived in southern Missouri, Houston, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Western CO, Eastern UT, Gillette WY and Rock Springs WY and the last two are by far the best places I have lived.

I live in Bondurant, just south of Jackson. I find the pros and cons equally outstanding. There are cultural nuances that I didn't know about until moving to this region, even growing up in MT. Anyway, happy to answer any and all.

Sent you a PM.

I think it is hard to not be involved in our kids education these days. CA may be the land of the liberals but class sizes are huge out this way, contending with budget and other issues. Jackson seems to have the same atmosphere as Mammoth Mountain here in CA, which isn't too bad but extremely seasonal. I would only be working there and most likely commuting from either eastern ID in Driggs, Tetonia, Darby or south of Jackson in Alpine. As for the hunting, anything has to be better than where I live in Southern CA.

Might need to head out that way to check things out.

Thank you for the info Mulecreek.

Wyoming is a great place to live. Jackson is a fun place to visit but not sure I would want to live there. But you don't have to go far from Jackson to get many of the great things about Wyoming without the downside of a town like Jackson. As far a outdoor recreation. I cant think of a better place to be than Wyoming. You will get great deer and elk tags every year. Good antelope tags every year if you are willing to travel a bit. Tons of public land! You get to live in a State that has wolves and grizzly's, which to me just make it a better place to explore.

Living in Wyo does have its cons. Winters are long. Travel in winter can be an issue. Low taxes means not as many services as you are most likely used to. Someone wrote the other day that Helena MT had a snow removal policy of "F it, let it turn to ice". Much of Wyo has adopted this same policy. The economy is based largely off of oil, gas and coal. Not a one of them is doing that well for the last several years. It shows itself quickly. School funding is an issue. High school dropout rate is 20%. You have to be prepared to be deeply involved in your kids education if you want them to succeed. If you want to drop them off at school and assume the rest will take care if itself you will be disappointed. Wyoming does have an excellent post secondary education scholarship program, Hathaway Scholarship. It can be a huge help in paying for college if your child is successful in high school.

I have lived in southern Missouri, Houston, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Western CO, Eastern UT, Gillette WY and Rock Springs WY and the last two are by far the best places I have lived.

^^^^This guy is full of it, don't believe him. I regret every one of my 54 years in Wyoming.

^^^^This guy is full of it, don't believe him. I regret every one of my 54 years in Wyoming.

Most people figure out on their own that I am full of it, they don't need to be told.

Look in Alpine like you stated to be a Wyoming resident. Live in Driggs and you're a Non-resident. That's one downside. You don't want to live in Jackson...and probably couldn't afford a house there. The Billionaires have displaced the Millionaires in Jackson. Too many uppity folks there for my tastes.

Thank you all for the information. I think my wife and I will be doing a detour to the western side of WY when we are on our way home from Salmon in October. The more and more I hear and research, the more and more Wyoming sounds like home to me. Don't mind the seasons as we only have one out here in Socal. The pictures that SnowyMountaineer has sent my way is making me second think the winters lol. Cost of living is almost 1/2 and living around like minded individual's easily makes up for the hard winters. Hopefully I will be posting about my Wyoming hunts next year with a resident tag.

Takes a year to get residency status. You must be domiciled and physically reside in Wyoming for 365 days before you can get a resident license. Better get decided fast for next fall.

Grab a real estate brochure when you are in Jackson. Houses under $500K should be remodeled with a match. There is a reason anyone working in the service industry lives 50 miles away.

Pros 8 months of winter. Best ski resort and backcountry skiing/snowmobiling in th U.S.
So if you want your kid to be a badass skier that's the place

Just heard Wyoming rated in the bottom five in a list of the best states to live in. Might be a good idea to look at the top five.

ClearCreek

Just heard Wyoming rated in the bottom five in a list of the best states to live in. Might be a good idea to look at the top five.

ClearCreek
I'm guessing hunting opportunity and access to public lands were not in the criteria used for that ranking...

No, that was not included in the criteria. However, that is at the top of my list, that is why I live in WY.

ClearCreek

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back