Wyoming unit 8

JLS just trying to figure out when the best time is to go. I've read its a late season hunt, which is ok. But I have a unit 44 antelope tag that complicates things in a good way. Also looking for some local intel from folk who are familiar with the area, amount of hunter pressure, and any other advice. Its a long drive from NC, I want to feel the most prepared I can. Thanks

Just curious. Why did you put in for it? Not much public and what there is gets hammered. You can have some success if you are a local and can drive out multiple times late season to check if the herd is on public yet. But it would be a hard hunt to just show up and find elk.

wanted to hunt wyoming (never been), but had maybe 1 point. We only had several options to pick from, with my dad being in his 60's i got to keep terrain in mind. I also like to be a little optimistic that if i work hard and with a little luck get an elk on the ground. I agree it will be hard to just show up and find elk, but that's DIY non guided hunting.

There was a thread on this late hunt not too long ago. Do some digging.

wanted to hunt wyoming (never been), but had maybe 1 point. We only had several options to pick from, with my dad being in his 60's i got to keep terrain in mind. I also like to be a little optimistic that if i work hard and with a little luck get an elk on the ground. I agree it will be hard to just show up and find elk, but that's DIY non guided hunting.
I guess that was my point...I like hunting in an area that work can correlate with success. My experience in 8 is that it's more a matter of waiting rather than working, which is tough if you're not here all the time. It's the same with some of the surrounding HMAs...if they're not there you might as well go back to town because all the hiking in the world won't put you on them.

I've mostly hunted 8 late season. If I were hunting in Oct like I assume you'll be for antelope, I might try to time it for when the 1st season rifle elk opens in Colorado and hope for some hunters to push them across the border.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back