Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Unit 100-6 Cow Elk

Thank you all for the information. Two of us tagged out on opening day and the last one 2 days later. Very interesting habitat, and to see so much Antelope and wild horses everywhere. Elk were around in different spots but mostly in the same spots. Like POK3s said, you see them one day and gone the next. Then the elk show up again. I saw some huge 6x6 bulls, that were amazing as well. All in all we had a great time hunting Wyoming for cow elk for the first time. The wind was crazy 45 mph plus and sand blowing everywhere but was well worth it. Already planning next year for Mule deer and antelope, also thinking bull elk too.

We're super pumped with hunting in Wyoming, and wanted to say thank you. One of my buddies just retired from the Army who was an Army Ranger and was ecstatic with our hunt.

We've been in the unit for a few days. Saw tons of bulls, so far but no cows yet. Definitely interesting hunt though. Going to give it another go in the morning and then head home.

Area of unit 100-6 allow to hunt. I originally was thinking Rock Springs, but Rawlins might be better. We also applied for mule doe tag in 82, and antelope doe tags in 52. This way I will more central as those units are south of Rawlins.
View attachment 142274
Looks to me like the Type 6 and 7 areas are all in the checkerboard. Is is hard to find places to hunt that are public land?

With the corner law it would seem that you are limited to the 1 square mile pieces that touch a public road?

Just wondering if a hunter that does not own a ranch in those areas can be successful. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide on this

Rock springs grazing and aggie own most of it. Aggie is the new owner of the old oxy stuff I believe and I have heard no negatives about hunting their stuff. Rock springs grazing is a non issue. I believe WY BHA reached out to them when they purchased it. A pm to buzzh may be helpful.

Last edited:
Aggie is an awesome landowner. Respect their land and you should have little to worry about

Looks to me like the Type 6 and 7 areas are all in the checkerboard. Is is hard to find places to hunt that are public land?

With the corner law it would seem that you are limited to the 1 square mile pieces that touch a public road?

Just wondering if a hunter that does not own a ranch in those areas can be successful. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide on this
Welcome back PestControl/Highfastflyer

Welcome back PestControl/Highfastflyer
If you are implying that I am some prior poster on this forum your not as smart as you think you are.

Any insight to my question? Is it worth getting a Type 6 or Type 7 tag in Elk Unit 100 if you do not own or have access to private land?

Last edited:
If you are implying that I am some prior poster on this forum your not as smart as you think you are.

Any insight to my question? Is it worth getting a Type 6 or Type 7 tag in Elk Unit 100 if you do not own or have access to private land?
For you TERMINATOR, do not apply.

Rock springs grazing and aggie own most of it. Aggie is the new owner of the old oxy stuff I believe and I have heard no negatives about hunting their stuff. Rock springs grazing is a non issue. I believe WY BHA reached out to them when they purchased it. A pm to buzzh may be helpful.
Thank you

Will draw a 100 Type 4 tag this fall, 2 of us with 6 total points. Others in party trying to draw Type 6. It seems from the above Rock Springs and Aggie grazing allow hunting on their properties. Do you need permission upfront to access these properties? Looks like most BLM property in the Type 6 area is very checkerboard with less than ideal access. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back