Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Unit 100-6 Cow Elk

trailrider121

I and my party of three drew Unit 100-6 Cow tag. I have never hunt elk before, nor have I ever hunted Wyoming. I figured this would be a great learning experience for us when we do draw a bull tag. I have Onx and plan on staying in Rawlins during our trip. Anyone have good info for the tag we got. Not looking for your honey holes, just good general info about the unit and limited area we get to hunt.. We just want to have a great time hunting, and enjoy our stay. Hoping we tag out as well.

We are all super excited about this hunt and decided to apply for Antelope / Mule deer doe tags for add bonus hunts in unit 82 and 52

Thanks.

Last edited:
Most of area 100 is a pretty far day trip from Rawlins. I’d look for something in/around Farson or even Rock Springs if you don’t want to camp. Should be a fun tag though.

Most of area 100 is a pretty far day trip from Rawlins. I’d look for something in/around Farson or even Rock Springs if you don’t want to camp. Should be a fun tag though.
+1
f.png

f.png

There was a thread on 100 a couple of days ago, had info in it. Congrats on a great cow tag, should be a lot of fun

Thanks for the info and links. Wyoming unit 100-6 tag gives a zone in lower east corn of unit according to the Wyoming website limited access. We talked about camping but heard its super windy. Either way it will be a great trip.

Area of unit 100-6 allow to hunt. I originally was thinking Rock Springs, but Rawlins might be better. We also applied for mule doe tag in 82, and antelope doe tags in 52. This way I will more central as those units are south of Rawlins.
1590986428695.png

If you draw those antelope doe tags, fill them last and move to Saratoga for lodging. You'll welcome the hot spring soaking pool after filling all those tags, it's free.

If you draw those antelope doe tags, fill them last and move to Saratoga for lodging. You'll welcome the hot spring soaking pool after filling all those tags, it's free.
>>>> and a good meal at the Wolf Hotel

I had the tag two years ago and stayed in Rawlins. Hunted the western half of the area for the type 6 tag. It was about a 75 mile drive to the exit from Rawlins, so you will need to leave with a full tank of gas every day if you stay there.

Trailrider,

I had to go look up the type 6 stuff for myself to make sure I had all your information understood clearly. A ton of that country is basically featurless. Just rolling sagebrush hills. The elk you will see are very nombadic. Here today and gone tomorrow. Or bust them and literally watch them run out of your unit in a straight line. You'll be able to see the dust cloud for miles through your spotting scope. It's quite the wakeup call lol. So with that don't get discouraged if (and probably when) you can't find any elk. Lots of people with type 1 tags and the other cow tags will be pushing elk around. You might not see an elk for multiple days, think you put in for a terrible hunt, and then the next day think all of the elk in unit 100 are in your corner of the unit.

Also, there are enough hills and small bluffs that you can hide from the wind a little bit. Yes there's a good chance that it'll be windy, but I would still choose that over driving from rawlins everyday.

Plenty of elk, with enough broken ground to hide more than a few elk. Use you glass.....alot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back