Wyoming Region R

bruisernilssen

Heading out to hunt Muleys in Region R this fall during the General season. Particularly Unit 47 but could venture outside of 47 if warranted. Never been anywhere near that area of Wyoming before. Any insight or tips anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated. Coming out a little early to scout and was wondering if there's any fishing activity also. Mainly interested in the area between Shell and Hyattville. Will be camping with a small trailer. Thanks in advance of any information you could give. Respectfully, B. Nilssen

If I had an R tag I would hunt the archery opener. Up top on the boarder with Y.

If I had an R tag I would hunt the archery opener. Up top on the boarder with Y.

Thanks Stubaby. Not really ready to hunt archery and the guys that'll be meeting me never have hunted with a bow. Looking forward to getting out in the fresh air again.

Unfortunately that region has been going down hill on trophy quality for several years.
Numbers are way down also, but that can be said about most everywhere.
It's gonna take hard hikes to find out of the way spots that might still hold a good buck.
Forkys might start looking good in most of that region.
Try to get on spots with steep grades and cover.
It is not a well liked tactic in the western states, but a good and well thought out deer drive will tell you what's there and is what I would recommend.
Light rifles and quick shooters will be the game play, glassing will be limited in a place that's thick with enough cover for deer to hold in.

Wish I could be of more help.
I don't know many that have hunted there.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I have been told that my information given here is all incorrect . From what I've been told and what I've read I still see it the way I see it.
I haven't hunted there myself. Only know what I know.
Would love to hear how you guys hunt goes.
Again, good luck..

millwork,don't listen to half the people on here.Most of those guys hatell when someone offers advise or an area to hunt.You know,you might end up within 5 miles of them.Silent bump drives work excellent in the west as they do in the east

Opinions are fine, but when help is given just from reading on the internet like the person asking can IMHO it can be a real disservice to that person. If you haven't been there, IMHO the person should say so upfront and not make it look like they've hunted it. Giving stats and helping with how the draws work, etc. can be done when you haven't been out where a person is asking about.

I certainly have no intention of misleading anyone. I will apologize to any if they believed they were.

I have not hunted in Wyoming.
I do know many who have and have asked them about their experience and tried to keep that in mind for the future.
Been looking through tons of information for years and studying maps planning a hunt for myself and my son.

Happy to pass what I've learned on to who ever I like.

What they do with that information is up to them and they are welcome.

The buck in my avatar came out of unit 47 back in 2008. The unit has a lot to offer as it has both high elevation and lower winter range. From my experience hunting it I would consider this a no excuse unit if you put some work in and have a week or more to hunt it. There were some decent bucks in there back when I hunted it. I saw 4 bucks during my combined elk and mule deer hunt that I would have been very happy with harvesting. The buck in my avatar was just over 30 inches wide and was 8 1/2 years old. There must be a few hiding spots for them to make it to that age. I have not been to that unit since but if I tag out on antelope this fall I may venture up there for a scouting trip to see if anything has changed. Stay away from the elk hunting crowd and you should run into some deer.

There are trout in Shell Creek up on the North side of the unit so bring your fishing gear if you go up there scouting.

Thanks for the information huronmtns and congratulations on the great buck. As far as the fishing goes, is that a fly fishing area only or could I bring spinning gear? Thanks again for the comeback.

The Shell Creek Campground is where I saw the fish. Some of the pools held good numbers of fish. This is taken from the Wyoming Fish and Game Website.

Shell Creek Fishing.jpg

The Shell Creek Campground is where I saw the fish. Some of the pools held good numbers of fish. This is taken from the Wyoming Fish and Game Website.

View attachment 72157

Wow....that sounds exciting and a great way to spend a couple days. Thanks again huronmtns. Last thing I want to do is go out there and get in trouble for some game and/or fish violation. I'll make sure to stop by Sheridan and talk with game and fish so I clearly understand the regs.

Wow....that sounds exciting and a great way to spend a couple days. Thanks again huronmtns. Last thing I want to do is go out there and get in trouble for some game and/or fish violation. I'll make sure to stop by Sheridan and talk with game and fish so I clearly understand the regs.

You may want to look a little further south too, as Paint Rock Creek and Ten Sleep Creek are also fantastic fisheries coming out of the high country!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back