Wyoming Region B or R?

mrklean

So i have enough points to draw either region B or R for mule deer, i keep flip flopping back and forth on which one to apply for. I have spent time antelope hunting in region B saw a few mule deer and saw a handful that were harvested, nothing huge but most of these guys had larger groups and didnt sound picky on what they shot. I like this unit because it has more walk in land vs R to hopefully lose more ppl the further i get in, but i believe the quality of deer is probably lower then R. R has more public land tons of BLM and some forest and also probably some better quality deer, but I'm also a bit worried about the orange army and seeing trucks driving all over the BLM. Anyone who has hunted either of these units help sway me one way or the other? Thanks

If you want to avoid the orange army go the second week of the season. I have only hunted B one time, not R. My wife shot a decent buck after 3 days of hunting, but we saw very few people still out hunting. B is huge and lots of land to walk. Hers came off a very small piece of public, like 120 acres.

I thought b was tough last year
Thanks I am starting to lean more toward my original plan of R, i just liked that i had been in B before and i could pull a antelope tag also maybe get to know the area more. But other have said B is a unit with limited mule deer

R will be swarming with people during rifle, since elk and deer run the same time. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a fun hunt, you’ve just gotta work, cruise and think outside the box.

A buddy and I hunted B last season, we got to the area 2 days before the season and scouted areas that looked good and areas another member on here told me to look into, with that said, I was tagged out within 30 minutes of daylight on opening day, and my buddy was done shortly there after. It is a harder area to hunt but the deer are there.

Just did R this season. I have not been to B yet so cant comment. R was pretty thin for mule bucks. It was even more thin on pronghorn. Lots of mule does.
I still liked it though. You just have to really cover a lot of ground to find your animal. Took me five full days to find mine

Im headed to Region R on Friday!! ive hunted Montana before, this is the first time to Wyoming, ill be in the southern part of R. Hopefully we don't run into to many people.

Im headed to Region R on Friday!! ive hunted Montana before, this is the first time to Wyoming, ill be in the southern part of R. Hopefully we don't run into to many people.

Good luck! Let us know how it went when you get back.

You will most certainly see people. Get creative, walk further than other people, come in from other directions than other people, you’ll do fine. But don’t hold out for monster bucks- seems anything with a split or fork of any size gets clobbered.

I ended up going to B opening weekend and regret doing that, saw well over 100+ doe and 2 bucks on public thats it, ppl everywhere wish i would have gone to R after that trip.

You will most certainly see people. Get creative, walk further than other people, come in from other directions than other people, you’ll do fine. But don’t hold out for monster bucks- seems anything with a split or fork of any size gets clobbered.
Yea that's kinda what ive been gathering from other post, to think outside the box and get away from the road. Were all just hoping for a good hunt with seeing alot of deer and hope to get a shot on a decent buck! thanks for the tips!!

I ended up going to B opening weekend and regret doing that, saw well over 100+ doe and 2 bucks on public thats it, ppl everywhere wish i would have gone to R after that trip.
ahhh man i hate to hear that for you... well hopefully R goes better, ill let ya know how it goes. Were set to be out there Saturday morning through the 24th so hope to get on something!

I'm taking a long hard took at Region R. I fly fished that area last summer, and I'm really looking for any excuse to get back out there. Killing a deer early and having some time to fly fish would be a huge plus for me.

I'm taking a long hard took at Region R. I fly fished that area last summer, and I'm really looking for any excuse to get back out there. Killing a deer early and having some time to fly fish would be a huge plus for me.
NR_Hunter, you see some animals that peaked your attention? Or just the scenery and terrain?

Have you hunted in R or just fished?

NR_Hunter, you see some animals that peaked your attention? Or just the scenery and terrain?

Have you hunted in R or just fished?
Only fished.

I did see some animals that peaked (piqued?) my interest and I did mark a few areas I thought might be good to return to with a rifle in hand. Then again, when I go somewhere out west for something other than deer hunting and see really nice bucks, then check what the forums have to say about the area, they all say hunting isn't very good there, so maybe I just have really low standards? I did love the scenery tho and the trip was with my GF in the summer, so I didn't really get to explore the way I would have liked. I feel like I have unfinished business in the Big Horns still.

I'm not dead set on R, but I've talked it over with my buddy I plan on going with and he seems to think it would be pretty cool too, so we are leaning towards it at the moment.

Then again, when I go somewhere out west for something other than deer hunting and see really nice bucks, then check what the forums have to say about the area, they all say hunting isn't very good there, so maybe I just have really low standards?
My guess would be that is how some attempt to keep NR out of "their" honey holes

Back