PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Range Grizz

Last week I talked to an outfitter who's worked outside West Yellowstone for 25 years and has been bluff charged by griz a bunch of times. He thought he had nerves of steel when dealing with bears. This past year he got charged for real, and said he was fortunate to have seen the bear from a ways off and had time to get ready, but said he was shaking so bad he had to lock his elbow onto his hip with his opposite hand. Said he'd never been able to steady a pistol within 15 ft of where he was aiming.

Knowing I'd probably be in shakier shape, I'd trust an 8x8x30 ft fog of pepper over a bit of lead as my first option, although I do plan to carry a 10mm on backpack trips from now on as well.

Learn to identify the scat of black bears vs. grizz. Black bear scat with contain berry seeds and smell like, well, crap. Grizz scat will contain small metal bells and smell like bear spray.

Don't these threads always lead to the same debate?

Understanding bear behavior is key in these incidents. Statistically, it has been shown that bear spray is a more reliable source of protection - I don't think there is much room for debate about that. Here's a research paper that should influence your decision:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

Not trying to change anyone's mind.

Personally, I carry both (firearms & pepper spray). The firearm will vary based on my activity. But there are other predators in the woods, not just bears (and not all predators have 4 legs).

I have never needed to shoot or spray anything - and have had the opportunity to do so. Your behavior is more important. Keeping a clean camp. How fast are you taking care of your kill once that elk is down. Being alert when you are gutting / boning the animal out. Always be aware of what is going on around you. Etc.

Encounters can and will happen. Being prepared isn't about being able to hit a gnat's ass with your XXX magnum while running 30 mph with your pants around your ankles - or even having a can of spray on your hip belt.

IMO if one's in the expert catgegory with a pistol and has nutz of steel then go for the 357, 44 or 10 with hard cast bullets. IMO a serious discussion with a bruin is about extremely close range, and one perfectly placed round, maybe getting off two rounds at most.

People get into problems with bruins and pistols cause there are hardly any of us good enough with a pistol to handle business with them. No matter how "johnny leather legs tough and mtn men that we think we are bottom line is we're just not. Most people will get their pistol going too early and won't give the bruin a chance to call off the charge.

IMO stopping a bear charge is about CNS hits, forget the chest unless it's the only option and your rolling around and can't sort anything else out. But, I'd say use a good hard cast bullet and go for brain and or spine and that'll shut them down quickly. A shot to the chest more than likely won't put them down, it might turn them but not generally b4 they beat the crapola out of you.

Bottom line, I'm a big fan of bear spray for most all. And I've no problemo with carrying both.

Just the way I see it...

IMO if one's in the expert catgegory with a pistol and has nutz of steel then go for the 357, 44 or 10 with hard cast bullets. IMO a serious discussion with a bruin is about extremely close range, and one perfectly placed round, maybe getting off two rounds at most.

People get into problems with bruins and pistols cause there are hardly any of us good enough with a pistol to handle business with them. No matter how "johnny leather legs tough and mtn men that we think we are bottom line is we're just not. Most people will get their pistol going too early and won't give the bruin a chance to call off the charge.

IMO stopping a bear charge is about CNS hits, forget the chest unless it's the only option and your rolling around and can't sort anything else out. But, I'd say use a good hard cast bullet and go for brain and or spine and that'll shut them down quickly. A shot to the chest more than likely won't put them down, it might turn them but not generally b4 they beat the crapola out of you.

Bottom line, I'm a big fan of bear spray for most all. And I've no problemo with carrying both.

Just the way I see it...

You probably see it that way because it's the smart way to think about the situation!

I'll take my chances getting some spray on myself if conditions aren't quite right as long as it stops the bear from wanting to injure or kill me. I've dealt with OC spray before and it truly sucks, but I survived. I'm willing to take some spray again if it means I survive a bad grizzly encounter.

I think you'll find the people who make a living working with grizzlies are more than happy to carry pepper spray as well.

So, you guys are saying that bear spray is meant to be sprayed at the bear and not used as a deterrent such as mosquito dope? -I've noticed a level of uncomfortableness upon application that spoiled past outdoor experiences.

So, you guys are saying that bear spray is meant to be sprayed at the bear and not used as a deterrent such as mosquito dope? -I've noticed a level of uncomfortableness upon application that spoiled past outdoor experiences.

***You are kidding, aren't you?!

Just don't get it in your eyes or on your undercarriage. You will be fine.

It wasn't me so much- it was the wife and kids that really carried on and, I feel, overreacted

UDAP now makes a new "kid friendly" pepper spray with lower capsican levels for children and those with sensitive skin. :)

In Mt i carried spray and a .44mag just for a peace of mind. Carried the spray on front of my pack waist belt, practiced dismounting and arming couple times while walking and sitting. I must say that after 10 hrs of up and down mtns, i wanted to chuck that .44 over the hillside! Only close encounter was 2am snowstorm with a foot of snow piling up then sliding off top of my little dome tent, scared the s... Outa me!

In Mt i carried spray and a .44mag just for a peace of mind. Carried the spray on front of my pack waist belt, practiced dismounting and arming couple times while walking and sitting. I must say that after 10 hrs of up and down mtns, i wanted to chuck that .44 over the hillside! Only close encounter was 2am snowstorm with a foot of snow piling up then sliding off top of my little dome tent, scared the s... Outa me!

that made me laugh! Been there.
I think I would carry both the spray and a large caliber handgun, yes the weight may be bad, but, it beats being dead. I guess I could empty the .44 mag and if it didn't stop the bear I could use the pepper spray on myself so I couldn't see what was about to happen. :rolleyes:

I have to ask, why the handgun if you are rifle hunting? That's something I've never gotten or thought to do.

I have to ask, why the handgun if you are rifle hunting? That's something I've never gotten or thought to do.

1pt, For me it would be because I may be able to get off more than one round with the handgun, with a bolt gun. . probably 1 and done. I would also guess it will be up close and personal, so, easier to move around than the rifle. I hope I don't ever have to have that experience, I'd hate to ruin a good pair of camo pants. lol

Absolutely, if archery or just hiking I can understand toting the pistola. But if rifle hunting there ain't no way!

1pt, For me it would be because I may be able to get off more than one round with the handgun, with a bolt gun. . probably 1 and done. I would also guess it will be up close and personal, so, easier to move around than the rifle. I hope I don't ever have to have that experience, I'd hate to ruin a good pair of camo pants. lol
Though I've only seen videos of grizzlys charging/running, I doubt there are very few that are getting off more than one well aimed shot with about anything. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I won't be carry a pistol if I have a rifle in my hand as I don't think the trade off warrants it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back