Caribou Gear

Wyoming Pronghorn Unit 19

GreatLaakes

Howdy,

I'm brand new to the forum looking for some help. Wyoming draw results posted today and I drew Unit 19 for Pronghorn. I've got onXmaps and I poured over them again and again before applying and Unit 19 ended up being my guaranteed draw option (3rd choice). Obviously this unit does not have a ton of public land, so I'm immediately planning on hunting the large parcel in the NW corner, just north of Gillette. I do plan on calling the Sheridan office out there and talking to a biologist about the unit, but I wanted to solicit some help from you all first. Does anyone know about the NW parcel in this unit? It looks like there's some elevation and some Ponderosa pine growing, probably not ideal habitat. I gotta imagine it gets hit pretty hard, being the only "large" piece in this unit, but are there ways to get away from the roads? I'm totally down for lots of walking, planning on camping out there for 4-5 days. Is there a time of the season that's better to go? Does everyone hit it hard the first couple days and then taper off? Or do I absolutely need to be out there Day 1?

Any/all insight is really appreciated!

Dillan

Welcome to HT. The search function will do you well lots of threads on those limited public access units in WY.

I think there was a thread last year about a fellow hunttalker that had a run in with a landowner who became physical and threatening. Sheriff was called if I remember correctly. They try posting a lot of public lands in that unit and denying all public access. My advice would be to find that old thread and who that landowner was and hunt the sh*t out of the public that they try to control. Bring a pile of your friends too. Good Luck!

I think there was a thread last year about a fellow hunttalker that had a run in with a landowner who became physical and threatening. Sheriff was called if I remember correctly. They try posting a lot of public lands in that unit and denying all public access. My advice would be to find that old thread and who that landowner was and hunt the sh*t out of the public that they try to control. Bring a pile of your friends too. Good Luck!

I remember that thread, that was wild!

I have not been to that area, but on Google Earth it looks like most of that NW corner (Burnt Hollow Rec Area) is not good antelope habitat. It will also likely have deer hunters. Of the limited public land in 19, there are only about 6 individual sections of state land you can access and a little BLM land.

Could be a tough hunt on public land. You might want to look into paying a trespass fee.

Here's a link to the hunter harassment.

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/hu...unit-19-state-trust-land.285530/#post-2757695

I have not been to that area, but on Google Earth it looks like most of that NW corner (Burnt Hollow Rec Area) is not good antelope habitat. It will also likely have deer hunters. Of the limited public land in 19, there are only about 6 individual sections of state land you can access and a little BLM land.

Could be a tough hunt on public land. You might want to look into paying a trespass fee.

Here's a link to the hunter harassment.

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/hu...unit-19-state-trust-land.285530/#post-2757695
I'm sure it will be tough, it is what it is at this point. Is there any benefit to going later in the season? Do most folks hit it hard the first couple days and then taper off?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back