Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming pronghorn HELP!!!!!!

WVbiggamehunter

Hello all my name is Cody and I’m from West Virginia. Me and my best friend are wanting to get to to western big game hunting, and after reading a lot of articles on it I have decided to break the ice with a pronghorn hunt I. The state of Wyoming.

I do t have any preference points yet so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good units that would be easy to draw with some public land that we can hunt.

We aren’t looking for trouphy class bucks. We just enjoy hunting and making memories. I do have the Gohunt app, it has been very useful but it doesn’t give a good breakdown of huntable land in each unit.

You need the OnX maps next.

Given the couple of months you still have to make the decision, consider buying their package that goes on your computer to use now as well as your phone to use later.
Trying to work on the small phone screen to really look at maps and do e-scouting is a pain.

Also, for free:

This year will be my first time hunting antelope and I'm also putting in for Wyoming. My advice is use OnX and the county road maps which can be found on the Wyoming fish and game website. Make sure the areas have at least some public access and then work off of that. Do lots of reading on here and you will find out what areas most people hunt.

Hello all my name is Cody and I’m from West Virginia. Me and my best friend are wanting to get to to western big game hunting, and after reading a lot of articles on it I have decided to break the ice with a pronghorn hunt I. The state of Wyoming.

I do t have any preference points yet so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good units that would be easy to draw with some public land that we can hunt.

We aren’t looking for trouphy class bucks. We just enjoy hunting and making memories. I do have the Gohunt app, it has been very useful but it doesn’t give a good breakdown of huntable land in each unit.

Get Onx maps and I sent you a PM about a unit you can apply for with zero points and have a fun hunt.

Huntalk, OnX and GoHunt all really helped me and my buddies with our first antelope hunt last year.

Last edited:
You can plan a pronghorn hunt without OnX, the Wyoming G&F website lays it all out pretty well. However, you'll definitely want it during your hunt, so may as well get it now.

Make sure you check out the Access-Yes programs also. You'll probably have to go to the county gis website for public road maps.

Definitely get OnX it will help you determine if a unit has enough public access for you. Also wait till they release the quotas I believe it comes out in April before applying as that could have a big effect on odds either positively if quotas are raised or negatively if lowered. Several units in the NE part of the state that can be had with 0 points.

I agree with what others have said. Also, make some phone calls to the game department in Wyoming and tell them what your situation is and what your expectations are. They will usually give you some options. Then I'd call the biologists or game wardens in those units. That will likely narrow down your search pretty easy. Good luck.

Pick any unit in north central or northeast Wyoming and that should work for the experience you are looking for.

Onx and go hunt are not required at all if you can read a map and are familiar with the walk in areas. All of the units have enough public access to kill a goat within 2 days.

Welcome...i came to Montana from the Mountain State!

I’m going to also encourage you to go with the OnX maps...you can get a single state for $30 (Less if you use Randy’s discount code, I do believe), and you can get a ton of access information from there.

Get yourself OnX maps, and get gohunt! I did this last year and took my 13 year old son and my 67yr old father. I just went on gohunt found a unit with 100 percent draw odds and applied, didn't know anything about the unit, just went on an adventure. It was a good time, some things were what we expected some things weren't. But all in all a great hunt, we ended up with 3 nice antelope bucks and some great table fare to bring back home. Good luck on your adventure!

I would caution hunters not to rely totally on OnX maps. Not all the roads on OnX maps are public roads and you can not tell if a road is a public road just by looking on OnX maps. There are mistakes and at times there are roads shown that are not actually roads on the ground.

Yes, it can be a good tool, but use it with caution.

ClearCreek

You're really not going to learn much else than what is on the older posts on here. Do like everyone else said above and have yourself prepared as much as possible. And at the end of the day, be ok with not being successful or with a smaller animal. Make your first trip about the experience instead of a trophy.

Hey, Cody. Did y'all end up with tags this season?

A friend of mine, who asked for help breaking into the hunting space earlier this Spring, and I are looking at a Wyoming pronghorn hunt in another year or two of collecting points and I'd be interested to hear how you fared. As for this season, I'll have him sitting in a tree stand for whitetail for his first hunting experience.

Hopefully you can let us all know of you free a tag, and what type and unit.
I have only hunted 22 for antelope does. But, I'm glad to share any information I can provide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back