Wyoming Points?

naturebob

I want to get some opinions. I have never hunted Wyoming. I have 5 points for each, Deer , Elk and Antelope. I want good tags but want to burn at least 2 of them or all in the next 1-3 years while I am in western North Dakota working in the oil field. After that I will be living back in AZ. Where I am from. Alot closer to things here now, Plus I am 56 years old now and in descent shape, but I know the body goes quick. I plan on hunting a long time yet but Ya never know when the legs can't take it any more.If I need more points for a quality elk tag I whould wait on that. I am use to hunting quality bulls in AZ., and New Mexico. I have a 330 bull and sittin on 18 points in Az ,so I know I have a world class hunt coming there in the next few years ,whould just like a quality ,scenic hunt and a good time.. Have no Idea where to go. Deer and lope ,I whould love a good lope as tags are scarse in AZ. Deer I could combo with ant. if possible . Just clueless. Been following this site for a while and seems like deer are down quality wise acording to many. If it is better to wait more I will ,some. I dont have to put in this year but whould like to. Thanks ....BOB!

I can't say much about the deer and elk, but with 5 points you could draw many units for lope and have a great hunt. WY is the mecca for lopes, so don't think you need to wait any longer to get a great hunt.

Bob, Holding onto more points for antelope in WY is almost a waste of time. 5 points can draw a pretty good, fun hunt anywhere south of Casper and north of I-80 and in numerous other areas. If you're looking for a hunt in the red desert then you have a long, long wait. You shouldn't waste your time. My best scoring buck, mid 70s, came from an area that took 0 points.

The WY game and fish has a great website with PDF files you can use to research draw odds. Years past they've had a hunters guide book that was informative as far as % of private land and the opportunity to get a good or fair buck. IMO use your antelope points now. You're 2 points behind the max points applicants which translates to years of waiting to draw the very top areas. Find an area that you can draw with 5 or fewer points, there's plenty of them and go for it.

The chance to draw an area with limited tags for deer will take more than 5 points. However you can draw region G and have a good hunt. Lots of hiking required in region G. Plan at least a 7 mile hike for a chance at a good buck. Get high and away from the trailheads or roads. Region G has good bucks and it takes everything Randy said in his show tonight to be successful. I haven't researched region H but you could probably draw that too. Both regions historically have had great genetics.

Some draw areas west of the Big Horns have hunts in the rut and can be drawn easily. I've considered them but I have max points for deer and will probably keep buying points until I get some other hunts over with first.

Elk is a little tougher to recommend. You need more points to draw a good area I think unless you're after any bull. I have max points and the areas I'm looking into are still less than 10% chance of drawing. That's ok because I'll have UT and NV elk tags in my pocket soon. However, you may be able to draw the unit south of Casper in a few years. It's suppose to be a good area. There's quite a few landowners in the HMA program there but I think it may take a lot of hiking or an outfitter to access the land where the big bulls live. That area is huge and the number of tags are too. I don't have enough research done to suggest anything to you except if you're feeling lucky you could draw a tag in the random draw. Put in, draw, do some research and go for it.

Last edited:
Ya , I think I should go on lope . Wasting $ on points without being at max. My hunting partners got max, I started 1 year late and missed a year when economy got bad. Any one want to chime in with areas to for with 5 points feel free. And does it help to put in extra $ for special draw or is that Montana? Thanks ....BOB!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back