Wyoming point creep. How bad will it be for the NR elk draw this year?

I'll tell you this much If I don't draw my tag this year God have mercy on the on pronghorn unit point creep that I apply for. I'm heading to Wyoming one way or another this year with a tag in my pocket
How many points you got?

I put in for a sure thing with my 10 points: Type 1 in Unit 22. 😉
#nailedit

Last edited:
I predict everyone in the universe will apply for WY elk and then next year even more people will apply. Don’t even know how that is possible…….
We are not the only universe. Once F&G begins to allow non-resident universes to apply with their .270 photon ray guns with range of 3500 yards...game over, man!

After all, what is more upsetting as gaze into space from a remote hunting camp...that we are all alone or we are not all alone? I prefer all alone. If not all alone and they have technology to travel to Earth then might not be a good outcome for us.

was told i have 60 some thousand people ahead of me and my 9 elk points.
it'll be another 20 years, at this rate before i get the unit i want

I don't expect huge creep in General tags; some happens every year, but I don't think it will jump in the General like it will the jump at higher demand hunts. I think the biggest creep will be in units that have taken 10+ points. I say that, based on the people I know who use one of the many tag application services. They all have double digit points. They are being advised to burn points this year.

I met a group of four at a trade show in Seattle last week. They are burning 16 points in units that don't take nearly that many. They've been advised by their application service to burn them now and they are doing that. Same as other friends. They are all burning on hunts where they are 2-4 points above what was required last year. They've been buyers for a long time and they see this as the year to actually apply.

Maybe I am only focusing the anecdotal examples. When I combine the anecdotal events with the history of what has happened in other states over the last 25 years, when big changes came, the change in folks at high point levels jumping in was at higher rates than those with lower point levels.

When you look at those application services, there are thousands and thousands of non-residents who use them. And most of the folks I know who use them have been point buyers for 10+ years. The services some of my friends use suggested they burn points last year when the rumors first started about fee increases and tag allocation changes. Not sure how many did it. Those same services are strongly suggesting these high point holder friends burn points in Wyoming this year, and not just for elk.

Whether or not my expectation holds true, I guess we will know in May.

I don't expect huge creep in General tags; some happens every year, but I don't think it will jump in the General like it will the jump at higher demand hunts. I think the biggest creep will be in units that have taken 10+ points. I say that, based on the people I know who use one of the many tag application services. They all have double digit points. They are being advised to burn points this year.

I met a group of four at a trade show in Seattle last week. They are burning 16 points in units that don't take nearly that many. They've been advised by their application service to burn them now and they are doing that. Same as other friends. They are all burning on hunts where they are 2-4 points above what was required last year. They've been buyers for a long time and they see this as the year to actually apply.

Maybe I am only focusing the anecdotal examples. When I combine the anecdotal events with the history of what has happened in other states over the last 25 years, when big changes came, the change in folks at high point levels jumping in was at higher rates than those with lower point levels.

When you look at those application services, there are thousands and thousands of non-residents who use them. And most of the folks I know who use them have been point buyers for 10+ years. The services some of my friends use suggested they burn points last year when the rumors first started about fee increases and tag allocation changes. Not sure how many did it. Those same services are strongly suggesting these high point holder friends burn points in Wyoming this year, and not just for elk.

Whether or not my expectation holds true, I guess we will know in May.
I could see that or guys like me sitting on 10+ and will just ride the storm out a couple extra years and have the hunt I want. Plenty of opportunities to hunt if you know where to look. Wyoming for me isn’t about a opportunity I’ll pat the high price if it goes that way but the tag I’ll have will be well worth it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back