Wyoming Legislators Propose Lowering Hunting Age

You should have waited to post this. A Montana legislator will introduce a bill to lower the age to five, as long as they are supervised by an outfitter paid by the parents.
Now that is on the ridiculous side. The kid should have some comprehension of hunter safety first and I don't think they do at 5.

Now that is on the ridiculous side. The kid should have some comprehension of hunter safety first and I don't think they do at 5.
They don't at 10 either, but they can hunt in Montana with the FWP Apprenticeship program and absolutely NO hunter safety or hunter education requirements.

Last edited:
I think kids should have to qualify for their first big game license at 12 with confirmed kills of 2 species of small game and 2 species of upland birds or waterfowl. Hell..... so should Adults!

So long as a kid can pass a hunter safety course and is supervised by a licensed adult, I say let them hunt. My kids started at age 12 ONLY because that was the age when we lived in OK. All 3 of my kids were by my side since age 3 in a deer blind or a duck blind. They couldn’t wait to go hunt for the first time.
If we prevent kids from hunting we will loose the next generation of hunters sooner than later.

Depends on the kid, but many kids are read to start hunting well before 12 years old. Some adults are barely ready at 30. I think hunters ed should be taken and passed before anyone hunts public land.

Depends on the kid, but many kids are read to start hunting well before 12 years old. Some adults are barely ready at 30. I think hunters ed should be taken and passed before anyone hunts public land.
Exactly. I grew up around guns and shooting from way early and started with a BB gun as soon as I was able to walk. Got a single shot 22 when I showed my dad I could handle a gun and I think that was around 9 years or so and then about a year later I bought my first 30-30 Winchester from one of my dad's friends and shot my first deer at around 12 years old but in Colorado a hunter safety course was required which I passed easily.

Skills vary with each kid but I think hunter safety course should be mandatory along with mentorship of an adult hunter for all minors. Not just all kids, but not even all adults can handle a gun safely nowdays.

My 17 and soon to be 15 year old boys want to start bow hunting this fall. I got them bows for Christmas and know they will sling hundreds of arrows this spring and summer. I took the IBEP course years ago and think it would be great for them as well. I’ve been trying to find a course they can take but not having any luck. IMO that should be a mandated course for bow hunting just the same as a Hunter ED course is just to get a hunting license.

My kids passed the hunter safety course in Maryland at age 11 or 12 and started hunting. They surely were not unsupervised but they were learning and loving the outdoors. This bill is a good idea.

If.large landowners grab all the tags, that would eliminate the option of leasing to outfitters? So why would they

I support it. Last year I had to take my 9-yr old last year to TX to hunt deer, which is crazy given the number of antelope in my own yard here in WY. After hiking 17 miles over a couple of days and seeing only three deer, he was able to get a respectable muley with a double lung shot from 130 yds. My next boy, who will be 10 this fall, just passed his hunter safety class with a 96% and I'll have to take him out of state too to get him any big game opportunities. So I absolutely think some kids younger than 12 are quite capable of hunting big game. I hope the bill passes, but would rather see the age limit removed (like AK and NM) or lowered to 10 (like ID and NE), at least for antelope and deer.

I support it. Last year I had to take my 9-yr old last year to TX to hunt deer, which is crazy given the number of antelope in my own yard here in WY. After hiking 17 miles over a couple of days and seeing only three deer, he was able to get a respectable muley with a double lung shot from 130 yds. My next boy, who will be 10 this fall, just passed his hunter safety class with a 96% and I'll have to take him out of state too to get him any big game opportunities. So I absolutely think some kids younger than 12 are quite capable of hunting big game. I hope the bill passes, but would rather see the age limit removed (like AK and NM) or lowered to 10 (like ID and NE), at least for antelope and deer.
Agreed! Both my son's have likely killed more deer by their 11th birthday than the average Utahn hunter does by the time they can legally buy booze! No age limit in IN and any new hunter, regardless of age, can hunt for 3 years on an apprentice license before having to take hunter's ed. Both my sons killed their first deer at 7yo on apprentice licenses with my by their sides.

While I support hunters education, I think folks give it a bit more credit than it deserves. Most any 3rd grader that does decent enough in school can pass it. Both mine did by age 10 without a problem.

Agreed! Both my son's have likely killed more deer by their 11th birthday than the average Utahn hunter does by the time they can legally buy booze! No age limit in IN and any new hunter, regardless of age, can hunt for 3 years on an apprentice license before having to take hunter's ed. Both my sons killed their first deer at 7yo on apprentice licenses with my by their sides.

While I support hunters education, I think folks give it a bit more credit than it deserves. Most any 3rd grader that does decent enough in school can pass it. Both mine did by age 10 without a problem.
Same here
My oldest will be seven this year and he’s going to give it a try with my ruger 7.62x39 bolt gun. Already has every squirrel on the farm trained to run!
I’m pretty sure I was 6 when I shot my first.

Same here
My oldest will be seven this year and he’s going to give it a try with my ruger 7.62x39 bolt gun. Already has every squirrel on the farm trained to run!
I’m pretty sure I was 6 when I shot my first.
Both of mine started with a single shot 357 Mag rifle. Had I not been dealing with the goofy centerfire rules in Indiana I’d have likely start with something else. Huge fan of red dot scopes for kids. No eye relief issues and super intuitive.

Both of mine started with a single shot 357 Mag rifle. Had I not been dealing with the goofy centerfire rules in Indiana I’d have likely start with something else. Huge fan of red dot scopes for kids. No eye relief issues and super intuitive.
Yeah I’m in Indiana as well
Have a 44 mag single but wow will that 7.62x39 shoot and no recoil
Putting a red dot on his 22 and let him burn some bricks of ammo all summer then put it on the deer rifle

Governor signed the bill into law. Here is the text:

23‑2‑102. Age restrictions; game animals; game birds.

(a) The minimum age to take any big or trophy game animal is twelve (12) years, except that any person may take a big or trophy game animal at eleven (11) years of age if the person will attain twelve (12) years of age by the end of that calendar year. Any person authorized by this subsection under the age of fourteen (14) years shall at all times when hunting be accompanied by a person over the age of majority who possesses and can exhibit a certificate of competency and safety as specified in W.S. 23‑2‑106 or who currently holds, or has been issued a Wyoming big game hunting license within the last five (5) years. If the person accompanying the hunter under the age of fourteen (14) years is not the parent or guardian of the hunter, the hunter shall have in his possession a permission slip signed by his parent or guardian allowing him to hunt under supervision. Each accompanying adult shall supervise not more than one (1) hunter under the age of fourteen (14) years. Any person under the age of fourteen (14) years applying for a license to hunt big or trophy game animals under this subsection shall have the application for the license co‑signed by his parent or legal guardian.

Section 2. This act is effective July 1, 2021.

(END)

Governor signed the bill into law. Here is the text:

23‑2‑102. Age restrictions; game animals; game birds.

(a) The minimum age to take any big or trophy game animal is twelve (12) years, except that any person may take a big or trophy game animal at eleven (11) years of age if the person will attain twelve (12) years of age by the end of that calendar year. Any person authorized by this subsection under the age of fourteen (14) years shall at all times when hunting be accompanied by a person over the age of majority who possesses and can exhibit a certificate of competency and safety as specified in W.S. 23‑2‑106 or who currently holds, or has been issued a Wyoming big game hunting license within the last five (5) years. If the person accompanying the hunter under the age of fourteen (14) years is not the parent or guardian of the hunter, the hunter shall have in his possession a permission slip signed by his parent or guardian allowing him to hunt under supervision. Each accompanying adult shall supervise not more than one (1) hunter under the age of fourteen (14) years. Any person under the age of fourteen (14) years applying for a license to hunt big or trophy game animals under this subsection shall have the application for the license co‑signed by his parent or legal guardian.

Section 2. This act is effective July 1, 2021.

(END)
I saw yesterday that this was signed...good deal! It'll help out 2 of my 3 kids.

Back