Caribou Gear

Wyoming left over cow elk tags flying off the shleves!

Outdoor Junkie

Just bought a leftover cow elk tag for myself and a friend for a "-7" hunt in January, but wow are the tags flying off the shelves! In the past, the unit that I go to has had leftover tags for several weeks and sometimes up to a month after they go up. Looks like they'll all be gone by later this morning. If yoou want a tag, you better log on soon!

Looking forward to filling the freezer in January!

Chuck

I couldn't believe how fast they are going either. I got my wife a cow tag,(I will just be the packer), this will be our first time hunting elk with a rifle. Looking forward to the new experience and can't thank Don from Iowa enough for the help in getting started !! I wanted to take my daughters but other things messed it up. NEXT YEAR for them :)

Got mine. Wasn't going to worry about it but glad I did. Over half gone by 8:15!

Next year, next year.... I'll have the 338 Fed ready by then. 2015 is devoted to the 'Lope.
Best of Luck to all.

The one that I was after, disappeared before I could even get on! If I decide to still go, there are still some options in areas that I know, but it is crazy.

I've never seen anything like that! Not sure if it's fewer tags or more demand, but a lot of them sold out in the first 30 minutes.

I'm looking forward to my 3rd January cow elk hunt in the past 4 years. Good times, great hunt adn even better meat for the freezer. Best part is that I think I convinced my wife that is was a good investment. 150 pounds of meat for a trip that costs ~ $600-$700 with food, gas and a motel. That's $4-5/ pound.... I can barely buy the cheap ground beef for that price, much less steaks! :rolleyes:

The one that I was after, disappeared before I could even get on! If I decide to still go, there are still some options in areas that I know, but it is crazy.

Sorry to get a little off topic but it sounds like you guys would know the answer to my question. I want to do this late rifle hunt in the future (maybe next year) but I'm wondering how much hunting there is available on public land?

Sounds like some of you are experienced at this.

Sorry to get a little off topic but it sounds like you guys would know the answer to my question. I want to do this late rifle hunt in the future (maybe next year) but I'm wondering how much hunting there is available on public land?

Sounds like some of you are experienced at this.

There is a lot of public land available and lots of HMA area is some locations. You just have to do your home work and be careful, as there are some units that have left-over permits, due to poor public access.

811 area 7 type 6 gone by 8:30am

That is amazing! I have never hunted that area, because I have always heard that public access can be problematic. They put out tons of licenses, though. I guess that I should look at it closer, as it is a short drive for me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back