Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming is Reducing Number of 2021 Antelope Tags

If Wyoming ever went to the old Utah system where non-residents could only apply for elk or deer or antelope, I would never again have a Wyoming elk or deer preference point in my profile, even knowing the superb deer and elk quality I would be opting out of.
As a Wyoming resident, I would be totally against this. Wyoming is dependent upon the revenue that NRs bring in when they hunt our state. G&F would have no other source from which to recover lost revenue. The rest of the state departments with the exception of those funded by federal grants are heavily dependent on mineral royalties which have fallen drastically forcing massive budget cuts in the State of Wyoming.

I do thing Wyoming should invest much more in conservation efforts and migration corridors than what it does. A lot more work is needed in that area.

As a Wyoming resident, I would be totally against this. Wyoming is dependent upon the revenue that NRs bring in when they hunt our state. G&F would have no other source from which to recover lost revenue. The rest of the state departments with the exception of those funded by federal grants are heavily dependent on mineral royalties which have fallen drastically forcing massive budget cuts in the State of Wyoming.

I do thing Wyoming should invest much more in conservation efforts and migration corridors than what it does. A lot more work is needed in that area.
We could limit to one NR tag for those species every year and still probably sell all our NR tags. And you'd have more NRs spending money since none of them would be double dipping and hunting multiple species.

us non-residents really support the wyoming game and fish,,in fact non -resident money is there main funding source is believe,,not all that much funding in resident tags,,not enough residents.

Good job Wyoming 👏
Nope. Not good job Wyoming. The mule deer hunting has been going to crap for years. Wgfd is way behind the curve and doing NOTHING in many areas to try and rectify. Leaving many units general as the population continues its decline is called a BAD JOB. Don’t let a few correct decisions by the wgfd make you think everything is all under control here. Their proposed “plan” to fight cwd by wiping out most of the deer herd is another good example of how moronic the wgfd is sometimes. Letting youths kill doe mule deer is another.

Issuing 1300 tags in antelope 73 last year was bound to affect this years quota by a lot. Was just too many to kill for that unit IMO.

You can still "legally" draw up to two full price Type 1 or 2 any antelope tags and up to 4 reduced price doe/fawn tags. Now being successful in the draw is another story. If you are lucky enough to draw a depredation hunt like I have once, those tags are in addition to any other tags the WGF may issue but you are only allowed one of those per year per species with exceptions for moose, sheep, mountain goat or grizzly bear which have specific statutory limits.
That seems like a big bag limit

Where is that in regulation?

I think Wyodoug may be referring to this sentence, "Any big or trophy game animal taken under this regulation shall be in addition to the bag limit established by other Commission regulations." that appears in Section 7 (Bag Limits) of CHAPTER 34 (DEPREDATION PREVENTION HUNTING SEASONS).

ClearCreek

What I want to know is where all the Pittman Roberts money is going! They have to be flush with cash. Let’s get them spending it on projects to benefit game.

What makes you think "they" (whoever they is?) are not doing that now?

ClearCreek
They is the government, state and federal. I think that because I see very little if anything happening to benefit our game animals across the country. Sure there have been some projects funded by the act , but nothing as to the scale I would expect based on all the revenue that has been generated.
What makes you think "they" (whoever they is?) are not doing that now?

ClearCreek
Did a little research on this, WY. Is going to receive 11.7 million from this fund just for wildlife restoration. Can’t wait to see what they spend it on. I would vote for wolf reduction, migration route improvement, and improved winter range. I think that would be a good start.

I think that because I see very little if anything happening to benefit our game animals across the country. Sure there have been some projects funded by the act , but nothing as to the scale I would expect based on all the revenue that has been generated.
So what scale would you expect based on your knowledge of wildlife management?

They is the government, state and federal. I think that because I see very little if anything happening to benefit our game animals across the country. Sure there have been some projects funded by the act , but nothing as to the scale I would expect based on all the revenue that has been generated.

Did a little research on this, WY. Is going to receive 11.7 million from this fund just for wildlife restoration. Can’t wait to see what they spend it on. I would vote for wolf reduction, migration route improvement, and improved winter range. I think that would be a good start.
Here is a good start. Lot more info out there if you do a little digging.

The tag reduction IS your PR dollars at work. Population surveys dictated that animal populations couldn't handle as high of a harvest this year so tag numbers were lowered. If populations improve then tag numbers will go back up.

Wildlife management is a complicated beast and PR money keeps the lights on but isn't a magic wand. The 11.7 million you mentioned is a drop in the bucket spread across hundreds of species of animals and fish across a diverse landscape.

To sum up wildlife management in two words, habitat and protection. What do you suggest based on your knowledge of wildlife management.
I’m not sure what exactly you’re asking, but wildlife agencies use PR funding for many things. Habitat work, population studies, collaring projects, etc.

The tag reduction IS your PR dollars at work. Population surveys dictated that animal populations couldn't handle as high of a harvest this year so tag numbers were lowered. If populations improve then tag numbers will go back up.

Wildlife management is a complicated beast and PR money keeps the lights on but isn't a magic wand. The 11.7 million you mentioned is a drop in the bucket spread across hundreds of species of animals and fish across a diverse landscape.

The 11.7 million is just for the wildlife, not fish. Also, it’s just for one year. Improve habitat and protection, number increase. It does not take 11.7 million for a biologist to figure out that in low number years, tags have to be limited. All I’m saying is that the money should be spent wisely and results should be expected.

Back