MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming is Reducing Number of 2021 Antelope Tags

I actually don't mind this much. It's a cycle, and the numbers look to be down some, just on the eye test. They will return to regular numbers again.

I actually don't mind this much. It's a cycle, and the numbers look to be down some, just on the eye test. They will return to regular numbers again.
Soon. Does typically have twins in the spring so that should bump numbers back up IF we recover from the drought we have been under last 10 years or so. I am still hoping everyone coming in to hunt with me draws though. I am greedy. I saw huge herds last year in my area but they are saying the huge storm we had did a significant winter kill.

I agree with the Wyoming biologists pushing for reduced numbers. It's the right thing to do. Unfortunately, it puts a damper on my antelope plans if we don't get lucky and enough people draw. Anyone in my group draws, I am going license or not and at least helping them find what they want.

Who would have thought allowing hunters to kill 4 does apiece to appease ranchers would hurt populations. It took what, over a decade of that to finally put the hurt on antelope. That is how robust the population used to be....

Who would have thought allowing hunters to kill 4 does apiece to appease ranchers would hurt populations. It took what, over a decade of that to finally put the hurt on antelope. That is how robust the population used
The tag reductions aren't in response to over harvest. We've had really dry weather and some untimely storms. Antelope populations fluctuate widely based on the weather, doesn't take but a year or two to see it. You can have zero tags issued in an area that has a few years of poor fawn recruitment and see a drastic reduction in numbers. Another few years and there are too many for the land to handle. Not an easy balance. Unfortunately "good" years seem to be fewer and farther between. I wish I could say I'm optimistic numbers will bounce bag quick and tag numbers increased again, but I'm not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back