Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming… I’m in a pickle

Four22

I’m sitting on 5 points in Wyoming. No one in my party can make it happen this year to apply….

Do I apply and go solo?
Do I sit on it and hope 5 points is worth something next year?
Do I eat and screw any hunt this year?

I’m not afraid to go solo but have never stepped foot in any of the general units….

Looking for advice as I know the deadline is tomorrow.

To add… I SHOULD be able to pull a general tag

It’s a big SHOULD

I would go if:
--You're pretty good at planning and e-scouting
--You're reasonably fit and experienced in the mountains
--You're mentally capable of not giving up when on your own for a while

If no to any of the above, there is zero shame, most hunters can't check all those boxes. If you can, I'd absolutely go for it.

If I waited for other people to be ready, I would not have done half of the hunts I did.

You gotta determine if you want to DO IT bad enough to go alone, and maybe change your approach to accommodate it. Sometime the flexibility of being solo is refreshing, sometimes it is overwhelming making the decisions of When, Where, and How .

I’m in a worse pickle. Looking at my first western hunt solo. Another poster said it, if I waited on others I’d never go. I bet after a hunt or two my buddies come out of the woodwork to join the adventure. I also can’t draw crap with points, so random luck or backup cow is plan.

I’m a bit of a loaner as it is so I’m not overly concerned with that aspect.

My main hang up is to dump the points, go into an area blind minus e-scouting and see nothing in 5 days.

Or

It’s 80* and I have to get an animal on ice FAST

Wife demands a sat phone or in reach so that’s definitely on the “figure it out list too” 😁

Put in. You will narrow down to a good area no doubt. Get an in reach and go have a blast. I am putting in alone for WY and other states as I do each year, mostly to places I have never been. Have killed elk, deer, antelope and seen many more I havn’t killed. Never had a western hunt, well maybe 1 - but even then I bumped something large - without at least a close encounter/chance at success.

I’ll be that guy. I’d say wait a year for your buddies. If you’re on here asking hunttalk for advice than to me that means you’re trying to get talked into something you’re not fully committed to or ready for. Solo hunting is as big a mental game as a physical game. Especially for elk. Those points aren’t going anywhere and you will have one more to fight point creep next year.

I’m a bit of a loaner as it is so I’m not overly concerned with that aspect.

My main hang up is to dump the points, go into an area blind minus e-scouting and see nothing in 5 days.

Or

It’s 80* and I have to get an animal on ice FAST

Wife demands a sat phone or in reach so that’s definitely on the “figure it out list too” 😁

Isn't this always the case? Waiting until one day before the application period to consider these aspects of the hunt? I'd just go, but it appears you aren't ready, feel you aren't ready, or are just making excuses. Let's see what you've written so far:
"My main hang up is to dump the points, go into an area blind minus e-scouting and see nothing in 5 days" -> isn't that a risk every year? Next year you may have 6 points...same situation.....there's no guarantees of seeing anything, unless you don't go. And, the animals don't care if you have 5 points or 10 points, makes no difference to them!
"It’s 80* and I have to get an animal on ice FAST" -> that could happen any year. There's no guarantees on the weather, man. Especially no guarantees on the fall weather in January!
"Wife demands a sat phone or in reach so that’s definitely on the “figure it out list too”" -> Ok, so you've got 8-9 months to figure out that aspect of the hunt. Shouldn't be hard.

Waiting for another year, what is going to change? Plans to go on a scouting trip? Potential for hunting with other people next year?

Crap or get off the pot. I've gone to plenty of brand new locations in new states and found elk. Been to plenty of new locations and not found them, too. Only way to know is to go. (Been to multiple states for a variety of animals, had shot opportunities on most hunts. Filled quite a few tags, came home with tag intact a few times. Have yet to regret any single hunt I've ever been on.)

Shoot, depending where in wyo and what dates, I’m sure it’d be an honor for many of us to join another HTer.

If you go, make no excuses— have fun whether successful or not. If you don’t go, make no excuses lol and accept that you did it to have more fun next time on the chance you do take..
it’s a hard line; those points took time, money and consideration. I’ve seen many many successful hunts on general tags with minimal points in many districts in WY..
personally, I have a hard time going alone and sticking it out without the morale of another, or needing to be the guy that boosts the morale of another, rather than just myself. Rogerthat has the opinion you may hate to admit, (maybe not) but if there’s a feeling in your heart that you’d regret it and burn them for nothing but an outcome you dreaded, i would WAIT. It could certainly make or break your patience, mental will, and overall success rate. Good luck buddy, keep us updated on your decision and your hunt.

Back