PEAX Equipment

Wyoming… I’m in a pickle

I built up 9 WY elk points waiting for the perfect scenario to go. Somehow someone will have a baby, get sick, have a different hunt, not be able to get off work, etc., etc., etc. Next year I am planning on burning what will be 10 WY point, more than likely alone. Use your points and go when you can. You can always tag along with someone else when they have a tag if you want to. Still plenty of fun to be had as a caller/packer.

Lots of wisdom stated above. I don’t claim to have anything figured out but I’ll say this…I started building points several years ago and have now started to burn them. Some of my tags that took 8-10 points to get were just as challenging as easy-to-draw tags. In my opinion, drawing a tag is just another opportunity to hunt. No telling what could go sideways or work out for the best. You wouldn’t believe some of the stories I have heard from folks who burned a pile of points on Colorado 4th season deer and had a bad hunt that particular year. The tag doesn’t owe anyone anything…. If you are wanting to play the long game, you might see if there is an opportunity to get a leftover cow tag or an easy draw tag for deer in the same unit to get some experience on the ground for future trips to the unit. Good luck!

The good thing about these out of state hunts is you usually have plenty of time to get your stuff dialed in. There is tons of information on the internet now, a guy that is decent at e-scouting and scanning the internet can usually come up with a few good areas to hone in on. When I hunted Wyoming, I had a horse packer lined out. I think it was around $350 for the area I was planning to hunt. She just requested I let her know when I was headed in, and to have some sort of inreach that I could send here the coordinates once the animal was down. That was a pretty nice easy button to have and give me the confidence I could really push it and not have the pack out fears limiting my ability to hunt hard.

The one thing I'd say is it's tough to commit the time and energy if you don't feel confident in your elk hunting skills. I've hunted in the west for many years on general tags before I started spending the money for out of state hunts. There is no other way to learn than just do it. That being said, if waiting for your buddies meant you have a couple really experienced elk hunters joining you and you're not experienced then it may be worth waiting. I hunted with a very experienced elk hunter for one season and learned as much as I learned in 5 years pounding the mountains by myself.

Get a tag!! Go this year learn new area. Next year ride on your buddies points. Almost 2 guaranteed hunts

Lots of good advice in this thread and I’m Mostly echoing what’s already been said , but this point rules them all.

If you are comfortable to hunt solo just send it, do your due diligence but don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be successful.

I wouldn’t hunt nearly as much as I do for anything from birds to elk if I didn’t go solo. And my buddies who need to go with someone sometimes don’t make it out all season.

Last edited:
It’s hard enough to get a group of family/friends to go in for just the random draw in WY, let alone build points with a group for years. I gave up on that and don’t even bother asking if folks are interested anymore. I wrote down my Dad’s info and I just throw him in on my apps. I’ll front a couple of special tags for a few months and then get my money back. If not, I’ll figure out a plan and drag my Dad all over WY looking for our first elk. Good luck - just go.

Lots of good advice to be had. At 68 years old my hunts are numbered. I have done alot of hunts with hunting buddies but one aspect I love about going solo you can do everything how you want, when you want and where you want without being concerned about anyone else. The only two things that I can feel my age catching me is the drive out west and hopefully packing an elk out. You just put one foot in front of the other and go a little slower. I hope my 10 points brings me a tag this year. Just go and enjoy every moment.

I will be running solo as well fall 2023 in Wyoming for elk, if I draw. I gave my brother in law my party id# and info to put in with me. Just checked my party id# and I'm the only one on it. My odds to draw are better though as my points are twice as many as his were. Time will tell.

Here’s what I would do: Hunt OTC in CO in 2023, just on the other side of WY general areas. While you’re at it, do a little scouting in WY. Don’t put a ton of pressure on yourself to kill an elk. Explore. Bag some grouse. In 2024, hunt WY General solo no matter what.

Hoping to pull a leftover cow tag tag to learn an area and hope 6 points will be worth something next year. It’s a gamble for sure but…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back