Caribou Gear Tarp

WYOMING GRIZZLIES SHIPPED TO CALIFORNIA SIGNED INTO LAW

Not sure Grizzlies could survive in California. Not enough for them to eat.

I believe at one time CA had more Grizzlies than anywhere in NA per sq mi............& the Spaniards killed most with bull & bear fights on the weekends. No way would they take one on themselves either, they acted in gangs........

I believe at one time CA had more Grizzlies than anywhere in NA per sq mi............& the Spaniards killed most with bull & bear fights on the weekends. No way would they take one on themselves either, they acted in gangs........
They were apparently just as big or bigger than the Kodiak bears because of the mild winters and what used to be abundant food supply in the San Joaquin valley

Los Osos is the valley of the bears. It was a stream bed with marshland & berry thickets that the Chumash avoided like a plague. Grizzlies also feasted on the whales & sea lions or anything that washed ashore. Blackbears only lived in CA in the Sierra's,way above the valley floors.......due to Grizzlies.

Sure is I had never heard that before.
Basic CA history books & a bit of research growing up there on Central Coast. I remember huge paintings in the Mission buildings of the Bull & Bear fights. Got to check out tons of manuscripts & diaries of the early settlers working around the Dana & Rios Caledonia Adobe Haciendas & the Dana House as a Park Ranger.
Capt.Henry Dana & his 10 yrs before the Mast sent my mind exploring facts & history as a young lad. That & grandpa just handing me a book when I asked a ?
The Blackbear history I got mostly from G&F biologists working with them. That & again local history books & memoirs.
I remember one of our property deeds had the property history right there with the plate map. A property corner was an oak tree & a stone fence that was never finished due to bears...Ida Prefumo bought most of what is know as Irish Hills from a Spanish land grant owner for a ten dollar gold piece. He bragged in local saloon of selling the useless grizzly swarmed land to the woman. She turned it into a massive cattle ranch. I knew her great grandson & he remembers the stories of grizzlies & no black bears in SLO county ever growing up. He did know the best salmon & steelhead spots in county too.

Basic CA history books & a bit of research growing up there on Central Coast. I remember huge paintings in the Mission buildings of the Bull & Bear fights.

I've seen some of those murals, they're very cool, the bears definitely look more like grizzlies than black bears.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back