Wyoming Governors race

PrairieHunter

I figured it might be a good thing for those of us in Wyoming to have a better idea where some of these candidates stand on hunting issues as the commercials I see really don't say much about their opinions on the matter.

Any thoughts on who best represents hunters interests in the race? Stance on public lands?

From what I've read, the lone woman republican is all for the federal land transfer to the states. Big shocker there.

My mind is already made up with Mark Gordon.

That's the way I am leaning as well. I've gotten to meet him twice this year, once at at Ag conference in Powell earlier this year, and again on Sunday in the UW tent at CFD. He seems like a down to earth guy. I like that he has won the "Excellence in Rangeland Stewardship" award on his ranch and his past on the Wyoming Wildlife and Natural Resources Trust but also don't know a lot about those groups.

Anyone know what businesses he owned in Sheridan and Buffalo that were tourism related? I saw that listed on his bio.

Deleted my attachment. Mr. Lamb already posted the survey I attached...carry on.

I'm still in the air, they all have some pro's and con's. I'll be tuning into the live stream for sure, it'll be interesting.

Last edited:
Foster Friess is against federal land transfers, not sure about other issues. Pretty sure Mark Gordon was in a local Laramie bar one night buying drinks for those who would give him their contact info. We don't talk politics at the bar and told them that, no free drink for us. Didn't sit well with me but need to see his stance on important issues before deciding.

My mind is already made up with Mark Gordon.

I can only relay what I personally know about Gordon and you make up your mind. When we were fighting a state land exchange that would have isolated 4200 acres of accessible public land, I called the State Treasurer Gordon as he is one of the five Land Commissioners. Within a few minutes, he was bashing sportsman about our conduct in the field and all the problems landowners like him have with us. It wasn't until I challenged him based on the "few bad apples" rule and how it may also pertain to some bad landowners, that he laid off.

At the final meeting on the exchange, when the vote was tallied, the other four Commissioners voted against and explained why. As the last to vote, with his vote being meaningless, Gordon voted against the exchange with the rest, giving no explanation.

Now he is running for Governor and saying what we want to hear. I'm not impressed.

I can only relay what I personally know about Gordon and you make up your mind. When we were fighting a state land exchange that would have isolated 4200 acres of accessible public land, I called the State Treasurer Gordon as he is one of the five Land Commissioners. Within a few minutes, he was bashing sportsman about our conduct in the field and all the problems landowners like him have with us. It wasn't until I challenged him based on the "few bad apples" rule and how it may also pertain to some bad landowners, that he laid off.

At the final meeting on the exchange, when the vote was tallied, the other four Commissioners voted against and explained why. As the last to vote, with his vote being meaningless, Gordon voted against the exchange with the rest, giving no explanation.

Now he is running for Governor and saying what we want to hear. I'm not impressed.

Very interesting, Jeff. IIRC one of his daughters was at the BHA brewfest in Lander.

Just hanging out. There were about three people wearing Gordon shirts, I believe one was his daughter. I could be mistaken, I had more than my fair share. Memory may be a little fuzzy

I figured it might be a good thing for those of us in Wyoming to have a better idea where some of these candidates stand on hunting issues as the commercials I see really don't say much about their opinions on the matter.

Any thoughts on who best represents hunters interests in the race? Stance on public lands?

Bill Dahlin - No idea

Foster Friess - Against state Transfer, I believe.

Sam Galestos - Against state Transfer

Mark Gordan - Against State Transfer

Harriet Hageman - For State Transfer

Taylor Haynes - For State Transfer

Latest Polls - From Laramie in June of 600 people with a 4% margin of error

Undecided 35%

Gordan 19%

Galestos 14%

Hageman 11%

Haynes 10%

Friess 6%

Dahlin 1%

Also, Gubernatorial is probably the poorest choice of names for these races.

Or maybe not

Depending on if the candidate is a guber or not.

Bill Dahlin - No idea

Foster Friess - Against state Transfer, I believe.

Sam Galestos - Against state Transfer

Mark Gordan - Against State Transfer

Harriet Hageman - For State Transfer

Taylor Haynes - For State Transfer

Latest Polls - From Laramie in June of 600 people with a 4% margin of error

Undecided 35%

Gordan 19%

Galestos 14%

Hageman 11%

Haynes 10%

Friess 6%

Dahlin 1%

Given that Galestos is for the farming of sage grouse, its a two dog race between Gordon and Friess for me.

Given that Galestos is for the farming of sage grouse, its a two dog race between Gordon and Friess for me.

Hageman said in the debates last night that she was against transfer. Although she supported further reductions in wolf populations and Haynes went so far as to say wolves should be treated like coyotes in Wyoming. None of the Republicans were for giving the game and fish General fund monies.

Back