Wyoming General Tag Quality?

Sjackson

Application season is here. Already dreaming of tags yet to be drawn. With Wyoming up first, Im curious as to the quality of the general units offered on the general tag. Im sitting on 3 elk points and eager to get into the elk woods in Wyoming. Just hoping to learn a little bit about the overall quality of these units. Density, population, encounters, all of these being relative to there being more hunters im sure with it being a general tag. Would you cash in on a general tag at the first opportunity or would you wait and bank points for a limited entry hunt? Im more than happy to wait and accumulate the points, but would hate to have wasted them on a general tag if they are over crowded or not worth 3 points. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

There are many a tale of woe of the holder of many, many points that finally scores a tag after the passing of many winters then in the year of the tag: poor moisture so antlers smaller than in years, forest fires close off roads, rut is not on schedule, unseasonable cold or hot, federal shut down closes federal land, winter kill worse than expected, spouse is sick, child is born early, tears up knee loading truck for hunt, gets laid off at job, spouse gets laid off, etc.

Hunt as often as can. There are places in many WY elk and deer units where you can get away from the crowds and hunt every 5 years if not sooner. The size of the antlers rarely makes a hunt a favorite memory, in my experience anyway.

Application season is here. Already dreaming of tags yet to be drawn. With Wyoming up first, Im curious as to the quality of the general units offered on the general tag. Im sitting on 3 elk points and eager to get into the elk woods in Wyoming. Just hoping to learn a little bit about the overall quality of these units. Density, population, encounters, all of these being relative to there being more hunters im sure with it being a general tag. Would you cash in on a general tag at the first opportunity or would you wait and bank points for a limited entry hunt? Im more than happy to wait and accumulate the points, but would hate to have wasted them on a general tag if they are over crowded or not worth 3 points. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
I would not chase LE in WY. Point creep goes up 1-2 points a year. At least the units I've been chasing. Learn a general unit and go every couple of years.

I’ve got 5 points. No mans land. Antelope has a better variety of options.

Zero statistical chance at the famous late hunts surrounding the park, since some don’t even have a tag in the random. There are some 8-10 point units I’d love to draw, but the creep.

I’ve come to the conclusion of guided, hunt general or move to WY. Those lucky bastards are playing with 30% draw odds in some historically excellent units. I need a warmer jacket.

It really depends on your goals. If you want to shoot a bull the general tag is fully adequate and opportunity is good in the general units I'm familiar with. Most places are busy around the opener, just depends on how good you are at sniffing out where people aren't willing to go.

I hunted WY from 2005-2015 and drew something every year except for 2. But that was when you could throw your elk rebate at a deer or antelope tag.
The elk strategy was always Unit specific as a first choice and General as a second. And buy points for the other species.

The Cow/calf tags are what you should be applying for if you just want a meat hunt. You could easily get those and get to know a unit while you built some points.
I'd take boots on the ground for 3 years in a general unit in WYOMING versus a 10 point unit you have never set foot in.

Granted this is from someone who has only hunted a small portion of WY and never been east of the Continental Divide with an elk tag.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back