Wyoming elk

Ektoras

Hey guys first time applying for elk in wyoming, any suggestions unit wise bull or cow.

It all depends on the type of hunt that you want to do. If you want to go deep into grizzly country, you can find that. If you want to go into an area was very little bears you can find that as well.

Like @Big Fin says so often, it’s worth getting a gohunt.com membership!

also, I’m a Utah resident and I am somewhat new to Wyoming applications myself, but just one thing to give you a heads up on is that you could apply for a bull elk AND a cow/calf. The later will not use an points if you draw.

All depends what your goals are. Trophy potential? Terrain? Seclusion from other hunters? Likelihood to draw? Weapon type? Lots of public land? Success rate?

It all depends on the type of hunt that you want to do. If you want to go deep into grizzly country, you can find that. If you want to go into an area was very little bears you can find that as well.

also, I’m a Utah resident and I am somewhat new to Wyoming applications myself, but just one thing to give you a heads up on is that you could apply for a bull elk AND a cow/calf. The later will not use an points if you draw.
on the last part do u know if i apply for a cow its the same odds like a bull right , and its just lottery no preference points , i have the gohunt insider but im just confused in that one

I concur. One of the best investments you can make is goHunt membership.

on the last part do u know if i apply for a cow its the same odds like a bull right , and its just lottery no preference points , i have the gohunt insider but im just confused in that one
The type 6/7 cow/calf draw is totally separate from other elk tag draws. It is a lottery with no PP. With the WYG&F 2020 draw data, look at the number of NR 1st choice applicants and divide by # of tags available and this gives you your chance of drawing that tag (last year).

Type 4 cow/calf IS part of the PP draw. This is a full price tag ($707), but there are many 100% draw options if you are so inclined. You can even list it as your second choice, so if you don’t get your first choice tag, you have a chance to pick up the Type 4, go hunting, and also buy a PP come July.

Seeing as we are down to the wire on putting these apps in (30 hours left), feel free to PM me with what you are thinking of putting in for and I can verify that there is no glaring oversight in your plans.

The type 6/7 cow/calf draw is totally separate from other elk tag draws. It is a lottery with no PP. With the WYG&F 2020 draw data, look at the number of NR 1st choice applicants and divide by # of tags available and this gives you your chance of drawing that tag (last year).

Type 4 cow/calf IS part of the PP draw. This is a full price tag ($707), but there are many 100% draw options if you are so inclined. You can even list it as your second choice, so if you don’t get your first choice tag, you have a chance to pick up the Type 4, go hunting, and also buy a PP come July.

Seeing as we are down to the wire on putting these apps in (30 hours left), feel free to PM me with what you are thinking of putting in for and I can verify that there is no glaring oversight in your plans.
I know where I want to go and where I will end up going, but what I need to know is this: Are there backcountry transporters in Wyoming without the guided outfitter? I know and have what I need to hunt in the wilderness. I just ain't got no mules.

Outfitters can also offer packing services, but good luck getting a commitment from them unless you’re days away from the service being needed, I.e. their priority is guided clients. Call the outfitter assigned to the area you want to hunt - most will explain what packing services might be available (if any), either from them or another entity that is licensed to provide that service in that area.

I know where I want to go and where I will end up going, but what I need to know is this: Are there backcountry transporters in Wyoming without the guided outfitter? I know and have what I need to hunt in the wilderness. I just ain't got no mules.
Do you have a local resident to go with you? If not, you cannot hunt the wilderness in WY. You have to either have an outfitter or a local with a free-to-acquire outfitter designation.

Does WY provide you detailed 3D maps, scouting reports, etc.?

It doesn't do 3D maps or scouting reports. But their F&G website has tons of info and everything else can be found on google, including 3D earth maps. I personally wouldn't spend my money on a GoHunt account for one state. GoHunt isn't the solution to all answers, I apply in 7 states and still do research beyond GoHunt...

I live in area 7 in Wyoming. I filled three cow elk tags the past three years. Huge elk herds here, but tough public access. I’ve lived here for six years now.
Before that, I lived for 17 years in Northern Colorado. It took me the first couple years living here, to figure out how to hunt this terrain, and figure out access, where the animals are, etc.

I shot Whitetails and antelope when I first moved here, but elk took some time to figure out. The herds move so much, they can be miles from where you think they should be, then a few days later, there will be tons of them, where you can’t access, or on a huge ranch property.

A lot of times it depends on the weather. They come down on the foothills and ranches when it’s snowy and cold, and head up into the timber, or lay in the brush all day when it’s hot.

The season is six weeks long on average, (depending on tag type), so you can pick days to go, but if you only have a week, it can take days and miles to figure out where to even start looking.

I have gone into beautiful country filled with timber, water, food source and seen no sign. Hiked around for 2 days and only saw dried up, months old sign.
Left camp and drove 10 miles in the same terrain, and found 100s of tracks and sign a few feet off the road.

A week later and that camp you were at before, is trampled with fresh tracks and shit all over.
You can find them, but you need time. I have made plans and they weren’t there.
It was the right place, just the wrong time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back