Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming elk - Helping dad

Mote270

Good morning all! So i might take some flack for this, but would like to try and gather some info from people who have the knowledge and are willing to share. I have met some very helpful people here and love sharing my information with those in need as well. I am trying to narrow down an elk hunt for dad and I. We want to burn our 10.5 points this coming season (2020). Here is what i am trying to decide on. Dad will be 60 next year. He is not in the best of health. Can hike fine over rolling hill type terrain, but very much struggles in the steep terrain. He has only killed one bull elk in his time elk hunting. My goal for this hunt.... Find a unit that is manageable for dad to navigate, a unit where he will see plenty of bulls (from Oregon we might see a couple bulls in an entire year and it would be fun to show him lots of elk), and a unit where he stands a chance at something in the 310-320 range. I am young and fit and pack well. I don't mind steeper country if that is something I have to pack out of while dad shoots a bull from the top (we will be rifle hunting). I personally would like a unit where I have a shot at a 330+ type bull, but the main goal of this trip is to get dad what could be the best bull of his life, and then I will focus on finding myself a bull. Pretty much looking for the perfect unit right? :ROFLMAO:. All joking aside, out of the research i have done i am looking at units like 16, 19, 120. Without setting foot over there its hard to really gather how the country lays out. I am open to any suggestions and advice. I really appreciate any help!

I believe the majority of units 16, 19, and 120 would all be manageable terrain for your Dad. My advise would be to download any unit overlays of interest from Toprut, import them into Google Earth, and take a look at the terrain for yourself. With these tools, you should be able to find something that suits you and your Dad.

I believe the majority of units 16, 19, and 120 would all be manageable terrain for your Dad. My advise would be to download any unit overlays of interest from Toprut, import them into Google Earth, and take a look at the terrain for yourself. With these tools, you should be able to find something that suits you and your Dad.

Thanks for the info! Toprut is a very useful tool.

I'm not trying to be mean, but for someone who has only killed one bull. You have some lofty goals. I would look at tags that are later in the year. Winter range, bulls bachelored back up, go special draw option. The weather might suck, but given your goals and limitations. Sorry, I can't help you on unit.

You have zero chance at 16
You might take another look at 19; where the Elk will be and how you plan on getting there
120 might fit the bill and I believe there is a landowner that allows hunting

I'm not trying to be mean, but for someone who has only killed one bull. You have some lofty goals. I would look at tags that are later in the year. Winter range, bulls bachelored back up, go special draw option. The weather might suck, but given your goals and limitations. Sorry, I can't help you on unit.

He’s killed a lot of elk. I just can’t get him to hold out for a bull lol. He’s always drawn any elk tags and is very content on shooting cows. This is why I’m looking to give him a good shot at a solid bull. Thanks for the advise on late season!

I would get your checkbook out and hire a guide. You can shoot those size of bulls in ANY unit in Wyoming. Units with tough public access will put a whooping on your father just trying to get to where the elk may or may not be. Hire a guide, hunt private with access to stock and call it a day. You are living in fantasy land thinking you can kill a mature bull on public without having to put much physical effort into it. Does it happen? Sure. But those are odds I wouldn't be relying on. Even in those "glory" units. Good luck and I look forward to a hunt recap (y)

I would get your checkbook out and hire a guide. You can shoot those size of bulls in ANY unit in Wyoming. Units with tough public access will put a whooping on your father just trying to get to where the elk may or may not be. Hire a guide, hunt private with access to stock and call it a day. You are living in fantasy land thinking you can kill a mature bull on public without having to put much physical effort into it. Does it happen? Sure. But those are odds I wouldn't be relying on. Even in those "glory" units. Good luck and I look forward to a hunt recap (y)
Yeah, people don’t ask for much...310-330 bulls easy access public land and less than max points. Those areas are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, people don’t ask for much...310-330 bulls easy access public land and less than max points. Those areas are a dime a dozen.

Yeah didn't think it was too much to ask :ROFLMAO: . I totally get it! i prefer the harder steeper stuff for myself. Just thought I might be able to get some info on an area that might have both types of country. Or maybe a unit that is easier to access the tops but a guy has to haul a bull out of the bottom (which i can do just not him). Just hoping for tips and info, good or bad I can handle both! I have gotten some very good info so far from people willing to help so thank you to those it is much appreciated and I am always open to return the favor.

Glad I live in fantasy land then.
Going guided is a good option of you can afford it , but certainly not necessary.
I'm betting a mature 5 pt would make him very happy, regardless of score. Seeing lots of elk though would probably be on a private ranch with little pressure, or a late season hunt.

Going guided is a good option of you can afford it , but certainly not necessary.
I'm betting a mature 5 pt would make him very happy, regardless of score. Seeing lots of elk though would probably be on a private ranch with little pressure, or a late season hunt.
So if you're killing these mature bulls on public without much effort, what's your definition of mature?

The OP is a non resident having never stepped foot in any of the units (from what I understand) they have built 11 years of points for. His father (from what he has said) is not in great shape and is already 60 meaning whichever hunt they draw will likely be his only hunt in that unit the rest of his life unless he gets lucky again in the random and/or is wanting to hunt there again when he is 75+. The OP stated he is looking for an easier access place with rolling hills to kill 310-330 bulls. I'm sure you yourself have plenty of these areas due to time in the field and experience out your backdoor. A non resident coming that far doesn't have that luxury which is why I would recommend going guided if he is truly seeking that type of bull in easy terrain. He mentioned nothing about 5 points and being happy with those. Was just my .02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back