Wyoming elk - Helping dad

The OP is a non resident having never stepped foot in any of the units (from what I understand) they have built 11 years of points for. His father (from what he has said) is not in great shape and is already 60 meaning whichever hunt they draw will likely be his only hunt in that unit the rest of his life unless he gets lucky again in the random and/or is wanting to hunt there again when he is 75+. The OP stated he is looking for an easier access place with rolling hills to kill 310-330 bulls. I'm sure you yourself have plenty of these areas due to time in the field and experience out your backdoor. A non resident coming that far doesn't have that luxury which is why I would recommend going guided if he is truly seeking that type of bull in easy terrain. He mentioned nothing about 5 points and being happy with those. Was just my .02.

A 300” 5 point sounds great! Haha. Thanks for your advice. It really isn’t all about a score, but that’s the easiest way to relate to people on what we would love to achieve. If I said all we wanted to do was shoot a branch bull, I’d get 100 replies covering every unit in Wyoming haha. Thanks again for the tip! If you have an outfitter you’d recommend shoot me a pm! I can always run it by my old man! Thanks.

Then I would advise against 19 for your dad.

X2. There’s isn’t anything gentle about the parts of 19 that regularly hold elk. It can be fairly frustrating from a land ownership standpoint too.

Great picture Pam, but you have private access that gets you to landlocked public. This could be a suggestion for the OP if he is willing to pay some cash.

I know some public areas that can produce the same quality with the terrain he asked about. Just responding to the mature 5 pt question. I agree that for numbers , private might be the way to go but not necessary.
We have some great areas with gentle terrain in Wyoming but you still have some work to do to find the elk.

JM77 we haven't even seen an elk since second week in Oct on the access we have. They have herded up and moved to their sanctuary ground. Hope your elk season was more productive than ours !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back